Charter of the BRIDGE Network
Science is inherently international, competitive, collaborative, and dynamic. And it needs institutions that provide the best possible environment for ideas to blossom, for technical advances to be made, and for serendipitous discoveries to occur.
In the 20th and 21st century, a new type of research institute has been established on several continents that is particularly well-suited to the needs of leading scientists in a globalized world. These institutes combine the goal of excellence in science with graduate education without being a full university with undergraduate study programs. They provide excellent conditions for international scientists, recruit and operate in a world-wide environment, and foster cooperation beyond institutional, political, and disciplinary borders.
The undersigned have set up the BRIDGE Network as an open platform for these types of research institutes. The network is open to further collaborations and more research institutes may be invited to join, if all existing members agree.
A primary goal of the BRIDGE Network is to provide a basis for fruitful exchange of best practice between its members. The combined expertise in the management and administration of research institutes and graduate universities shall be used to the benefit of science and society. The existing links between the partner organizations and their respective employees shall be strengthened and further developed.
The aims of the BRIDGE Network are, in particular, to:
- Advocate common values, in particular excellence in research and graduate education, internationality, research ethics, responsible leadership and mentorship, autonomy, openness and diversity
- Promote successful organizational models for research and graduate education
- Promote standards for evaluation of scientific institutes and graduate universities
- Address issues of common concern and develop common positions towards third parties (national and international)
- Issue policy statements
- Provide a forum for regular meetings
- Develop best practices through mutual exchange of experiences
- Support the member organizations and strengthen communication and
collaboration between them