Post-doc positions in Neural Coding & Brain Computing Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The school is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shorelines and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates cross-disciplinary research. Superb resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the university, and the research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. After only ten years, OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in research, education, and innovation.
A small number of postdoc positions are available in computational neuroscience and related fields (e.g., brain-inspired AI, machine learning in neuroscience).
The followings are the keywords of our research interests:
1） Neural models of learning and memory
2） Computation with spikes
3） Dendritic computation
4） The roles of spontaneous activity in brain computing.
5） Large-scale neural data analysis
Applicants with interests other than those listed above will also be considered.
- Perform innovative research in the context given in position summary.
- Publish the results in high-quality journals.
- Present the results at national and international conferences.
We welcome applications from candidates with strong background in theoretical/computational sciences. Candidates are also desired to have due interests in the biological realms of brain science. Communication and writing skills in English but not in Japanese are required.
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
- Curriculum vita in English (and Japanese if available)
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
- Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to: email@example.com
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities (https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
- Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (https://www.oist.jp).
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed up to 3 years.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)