Post-doc positions in Neural Coding & Brain Computing Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a graduate university in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan, with outstanding facilities and an interdisciplinary atmosphere (OIST campus video tour). OIST, where English is the official language, is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
A small number of postdoc positions are available in computational neuroscience and related fields (e.g., brain-inspired AI, machine learning in neuroscience).
The followings are the keywords of our research interests:
1） Neural models of learning and memory
2） Computation with spikes
3） Dendritic computation
4) The roles of spontaneous activity in brain computing.
5） Large-scale neural data analysis
Applicants with interests other than those listed above will also be considered.
- Perform innovative research in the context given in position summary.
- Publish the results in high-quality journals.
- Present the results at national and international conferences.
We welcome applications from candidates with strong background in theoretical/computational sciences. Candidates are also desired to have due interests in the biological realms of brain science. Communication and writing skills in English but not in Japanese are required.
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed up to 3 years.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Curriculum vita in English (and Japanese if available)
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
- Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities (https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
- Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (https://www.oist.jp).