Staff Scientist Position for an Expert in Molecular Cryo-Electron Microscopy Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) is a model for change in education and research with the best international graduate students, working side by side with world-class faculty in modern well-equipped laboratories. Beautifully situated on the island of Okinawa, OIST relies on a cross-disciplinary approach, with an emphasis on creativity and exchange, to offer unique, individualized graduate training. OIST is a university with no departments, eliminating artificial barriers between people working in different fields, but many nationalities, with students and faculty being attracted from all over the world. Concentrating initially on Neuroscience, Molecular Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Environmental and Ecological Sciences and Physical Sciences, OIST is bringing some of the best brains in the world to Okinawa to transform the way science and education is done in the global academic world.
Our dynamic international team is expanding and we are seeking an enthusiastic researcher with in-depth experience in Cryo-EM to conduct and assist with user training, sample preparation, data collection and image processing. The successful candidate will carry out his/her own independent projects and help train lab members with respect to Cryo-EM techniques.
Our unit shares exclusive access to an FEI Titan Krios S/TEM equipped with direct electron detector and energy filter. The facility also includes a Titan eTEM, vitrobot, high pressure freezer, cryo microtome, serial blockface cryo-FIB/SEM, 100keV screening TEM and will be expanded further. We maintain software contained in the sbgrid distribution as well as SerialEM, Leginon/Appion which run on the labs dedicated GPU-accelerated workstations and on the 5000-core OIST HPC cluster.
The main focus of the lab is on high resolution single particle Cryo-EM of large macromolecular assemblies with an emphasis on virology and ion channels. https://groups.oist.jp/mcemu
- Extensive experience in Cryo-EM, sample preparation and data collection
- Good English language skills are essential
- Experience with automated data collection strategies like leginon, serialEM, EPU
- Experience on FEI Titan Krios
- Background in programming with an emphasis on scripting (shell script, python)
- Ideally previous experience with analytical EM (FTEM, STEM/EELS)
- Japanese citizens are highly encouraged to apply (not a requirement)
Send curriculum vitae, summary of research interests and experience, and the names of three referees to Dr. Matthias Wolf: mcmu at oist.jp.
Application Due Date
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).