OIST is suspending all community relations activities until April 30th, 2020 in order to follow the guidelines on public gatherings during the current COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak. We apologize for any inconvenience caused and appreciate your understanding.
The following community relations activities have been suspended.
- Guided Campus Tour, Unguided Campus Tour, Weekend Tour
- School Visits *
- Group Tours
Currently, we have decided to suspend reservations until April 30th, 2020.
Please check this website again, as the information will be updated in mid-April. We appreciate your understanding.
* We will accept School Visit reservations after September 2020.
Please check the "School Visits" page. Please understand that with the current COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak, your visit may be cancelled even after making a reservation. Thank you for your understanding and ongoing support.
For a list of the latest announcements about OIST response to COVID-19 go to
OIST COVID-19 Latest Measure
Guided Campus Tour
- Every Monday, 13:30-14:30
- Every Wednesday, 13:30-14:30
- Every Friday, 13:30-14:30
- Excluding holidays and year-end, new-years (December 29th through January 3rd).
- The length of each tour will be approximately one hour.
- All tours are limited to 20 participants.
- Please reserve by the day before the tour.
Weekend Tours Led by Students
- Every 2nd and 4th Saturday from 13:30 to 14:30
- Please reserve by 5 days in advance. (Monday of the tour week)
- No tours will be offered on holidays and during the New Year break (Dec 29th to Jan 3rd).
- All tours are limited to 20 participants. Reservations will only be taken up to the 20th participant.
- Weekend tours begin July 8th, 2017.
- Apply using the OIST Campus Tour Reservation Form
- Send email to email@example.com
- Call 098-966-2184
- Send a FAX to 098-966-2887
- Full Name (in the case of a group reservation, the group representative)
- Name of group (in the case of a group reservation)
- Contact information (telephone number, email address)
- The date you would like to tour OIST
- Number of people in your group (including yourself)
Rules and Guidelines for Campus Visits
Restrictions on Participation
- No visitor under the age of 13 without adult supervision.
- No visitors under the influence of alcohol or behaving in a manner that the institute considers inappropriate for the tour.
The tour in lab areas
In the OIST labs, research and experiments are actively taking place, including experiments which use dangerous chemicals and/or biological samples. Please do follow the guidance from the OIST staff during the tour, and please refrain from interfering with any research or experiments.
Taking photographs and filming is prohibited inside of the lab area unless the OIST staff allows you to do so.
If you do not follow this safety regulation, the OIST staff may decide to discontinue the tour.
Theft and Accidents
OIST accepts no responsibility for incidents of theft or injury that occur inside the facilities or in neighboring areas like parking. Visitors accept responsibility for their possessions and safety.
Damage to the Facilities
At the discretion of the institute, OIST may require reparation for damage to facilities, equipment, etc. caused by visitors.