Postdoctoral Scholar, Marine Biophysics Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see ) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The successful candidate will investigate oceanographic processes by utilizing state-of-the-art numerical models, such as the Regional Ocean Modeling System (ROMS), Weather Research & Forecasting Model (WRF), and WaveWatch III. Applications include, but are not limited to, dispersal from hydrothermal vents and seamounts, physical and biogeochemical oceanographic processes of coral reefs, carbon fluxes from the shelf-shore transition zone, and ocean-atmosphere interactions in fully developed typhoons.
Applicants must have been awarded a Ph.D. or equivalent doctorate in an appropriate field within the past 5 years and demonstrated ability in publishing results in peer-reviewed journals.
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid)
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
- Access to Child Development Center
- Access to Schooling Options
- Language Education
- Resource Center (Daily Life Support in Okinawa)
- Curriculum vitae including a publication list
- Cover letter stating research interests and experience
- Contact information for three references
How to Apply
All required application materials should be submitted by email to: tomoko.yoshino#oist.jp
(replace # with @ before using this email address).
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to OIST after a conditional offer of employment
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.
Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
We thank all those who apply but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.