Postdoctoral Scholar for Experimental Quantum Information Physics (EQuIP) Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The Experimental Quantum Information Physics (EQuIP) Unit at Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST) Graduate University is recruiting postdoctoral scholars. The newly established EQuIP unit carries out research on experimental quantum physics using trapped ions, aiming for applications in quantum information technologies. Applications from those who have experiences in related fields such as ion trapping, atomic physics and quantum optics are particularly welcome. The successful candidates are expected to perform innovative research along with the PI while building up a new lab and a new team.
- Perform experimental research with trapped ions or in related fields.
- Disseminate the results via publication in journals and/or presentation in national/international conferences.
- Participate in unit meetings, seminars, and unit activities in general.
- Assist the PI with tutoring and mentoring the students.
- Pursue their own independent research interests unless they substantially interfere with the direction of research in the unit.
- Ph.D in relevant fields or an imminent prospect to obtain one.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Prior research experience in experimental AMO physics.
Term & Working Hours
The position is initially for one year and can be extended to 2 more years based on performance and mutual agreement. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive).
Compensation & Benefits
The amount of the annual salary is determined according to the number of years since the candidate acquired a Ph.D degree. It starts from about 4.4 Million JPY with zero year, increasing annually. If the candidate has more than five years of post-Ph.D experience and demonstrates remarkable academic competence, he/she may be hired as a staff scientist. In that case, the compensation and benefits are offered in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations.
- Relocation, housing (80 % of the rent up to 60,000 JPY/month) and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Cover letter in English or Japanese, stating your motivation to apply, your research interests, and your aspiration.
- Curriculum vitae in English or Japanese, including a list of publication.
- Names and contact information of at least 2 referees, one of which should be a previous /current employer
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.