Operations and Support Section Manager
OIST IT Division shall empower OIST to achieve excellence in research and education through the provision of technological services that enable:
- Fluid collaboration and access to data, within and without the University
- World-class science and scholarship
- Innovation and technological development
IT Division utilizes a variety of cloud-based business systems such as Microsoft365 and ServiceNow to improve operational efficiency in order to support OIST's unique and world-leading university, which is rare for Japanese universities.
The Operations and Support Section, which is responsible for OIST's overall IT services, has 9 members, including the manager, and provides services to the entire university.
Through management of the IT services, and working with the project team, the Section Manager will be instrumental in the design, delivery and continuous improvement of IT services that is best aligned to user and business requirements. The successful applicant will through close relationships with OIST researchers, faculty, students and administrative staff, evangelize IT services and garner feedback.
Reporting to the Vice President of Information Technology, the successful applicant will:
- Develop and oversee IT services’ lifecycle based upon the ITSM framework, including incident, problem and change management
- Manage the Operations and Support Section (16 members including contractors), ensuring prompt and friendly service to users from all areas of the University
- Ensure close and continuous engagement with the OIST community, garnering feedback and service requirements
- Work with the project team to design and deliver IT services that is aligned to user and business requirements
- Ensure an excellent quality of documentation and process is in place to inform and support users; allowing users to self-service where appropriate
- Ensure user requests are responded to and resolved efficiently and appropriately
- Make recommendations on policy that better align IT support services with the goals of the University
- Monitor IT service performance, producing metrics as required
- Team management and leadership experience
- Demonstrated interpersonal and negotiation skills in both English and Japanese
- Demonstrated experience in management and continuous improvement of IT services
- Native level in either of English or Japanese, and business level in the other, along with working experience in both English and Japanese environments
- ITIL Foundation or higher certification
- Previous experience in an educational or research environment
- Previous experience in a user support or helpdesk environment
- A degree in information technology or a related field
- Previous experience in managing, or holding certification of, Microsoft 365, Active Directory, ServiceNow, Cisco, vSphere etc.
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 8.0 million yen ~ 10 million yen
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid)
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
- Access to Child Development Center
- Access to Schooling Options
- Language Education
- Resource Center (Daily Life Support in Okinawa)
- Cover letter in English required. Japanese version required only for Applicants whose native language is Japanese.
- Curriculum vitae in English required. Japanese version required only for Applicants whose native language is Japanese.
- Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer, will be required if the Applicant is selected for an interview.
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to OIST after a conditional offer of employment.
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.
Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3 month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.