Electronics Research Support Specialist
The Research Support Division (RSD) contributes to research and education by providing excellent common research facilities and research support services for the researchers and students at OIST. Technical sections of the RSD provide maintenance of common equipment/facilities, operation training, fair access, consultation on experimental design and choice of methods/instruments, and technical support on data acquisition and analysis. Administrative sections of the RSD provide support on grant applications, collaborations, health and safety and other support to research activities.
The Engineering Support Section is one of the technical support sections within the RSD. It provides support for mechanical engineering, nanofabrication and characterization through two teams of technical staff.
The OIST Engineering Support Section is looking for a highly motivated and team-oriented technical specialist to begin support for electronic engineering in the university. The candidates’ principle duties will be to design and build custom circuits as required by OIST researchers, and to train and assist OIST researchers in the use of the section’s resources for electronic engineering. Additionally, the position is to assist in the management of electronics support within the section.
- Provides support services related to electronic/electrical engineering
- Provides users with appropriate training on electronic circuit fabrication and testing
- Provides consultations with researchers on circuit design and fabrication
- Fabrication and testing of custom circuits
- Creation of standard training programs, manuals and protocols
- Maintenance of all relevant equipment and facilities
- Work with equipment vendors on maintenance, development and trouble-shooting issues
- Maintenance of stocks of consumables and chemicals
- Expansion of the coverage of support by introducing the latest technologies and by seeking professional, technical training
- Proactive participation in technical and organizational improvement, collaborating with colleagues and researchers
- Supports the purchase and procurement of equipment based on the needs of researchers, by documenting the specifications of the equipment and by communicating with the manufacturers and vendors, etc.
- Maintenance of excellent records regarding research support, equipment maintenance and safety
- Maintains and expands collaborative relationships with other domestic and international institutes
- Other duties as assigned by the Engineering Support Section Leader
- Master’s degree or higher in electronic or electrical engineering, or a closely related field
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in circuit design
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in circuit fabrication and testing
- Experience in printed circuit board fabrication
- Experience in training or mentoring others
- Excellent communication skills in English. Ability to communicate in Japanese is desirable but not required
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to adapt to local culture and rapidly changing work environment.
- Experience working in a cleanroom
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 year/2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Discretionary (Basic working hour 9:00-17:30)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 5,858,000 JPY~
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Curriculum vitae in English (and Japanese if available)
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.