Research Unit Administrator (RUA)
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The OIST gratuate education and research program is cross-disciplinary and aims to be at the leading edge of research in science and technology, including the Life Sciences, the Physical Sciences, and Mathematics. OIST units, currently 80 units and growing, conducts interdisciplinary research in eight fields: Physics, Chemistry, Neuroscience, Marine Science, Environmental and Ecological Sciences, Mathematical and Computational Sciences, Engineering and Applied Science, and Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology. The Research Unit Administrators (RUAs) are involved in such world-class research by performing a full range of administrative duties so they can achieve their objectives.
- Perform administrative tasks for faculty and unit members such as managing calendars, booking travel, scheduling facilities and equipment, overseeing budget management, handling purchase orders and payment for research equipment, etc.
- Serve as a coordinator of Research Unit events, workshops as required, organize logistics for attendees
- Assist faculty in hiring members of the Research Unit by posting advertisements and arranging interviews
- Take meeting minutes in English and translate documents as needed
- Prepare annual reports, collect scientific productivity data, and update website for the Research Unit
- Perform other administrative duties as assigned
- Proven ability to provide support from different requesters / sources from different locations and time zones around the world
Effective organizational and prioritization skills, with demonstrated high level of accuracy and attention to details
Ability to speak and write in English and Japanese at a business level
- At least three years clerical or administrative experience
Proactive attitude for learning about and enhancing the role
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with a diverse range of people and job functions
High degree of personal initiative, be a self-starter
- Computer skills and proficiency in software (MS Office: Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience
- Working experience in international research institution/university
- Working experience in both Japanese and international settings
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 year. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5 hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
If you have any questions, please contact Recruiting Section at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- "Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. The personal information you provide will only be used to recruitment selection.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.