Research Unit Administrator (RUA)
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
OIST has more than 50 Research Units and the internationally outstanding research in science and technology, and thus to contribute to the sustainable development of Okinawa, and promote and sustain the advancement of science and technology in Japan and throughout the world.
Research Unit Administrators will be involved in a world-class research by performing a full range of administrative duties to support the Research Unit(s) achieve its objectives.
- Perform administrative tasks for faculty and unit members such as managing calendars, booking travel, scheduling facilities and equipment, overseeing budget management, handling purchase orders and payment for research equipment, etc.
- Serve as a coordinator of Research Unit events, workshops as required, organize logistics for attendees
- Assist faculty in hiring members of the Research Unit by posting advertisements and arranging interviews
- Take meeting minutes in English and translate documents as needed
- Prepare annual reports, collect scientific productivity data, and update website for the Research Unit
- Perform other administrative duties as assigned
- Proven ability to provide assistance from varying requesters/sources often representing different worldwide locations and time zones
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience
- At least two years clerical or administrative experience
- Ability to speak and write in English and Japanese at a business level
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with a diverse range of people and job functions
- Effective organizational skills, with demonstrated high level of accuracy attention to detail and a proven ability to handle multiple priorities
- Computer skills and proficiency in software (MS Office: PowerPoint, Excel, Word, and Outlook)
- Proactive attitude for learning about and enhancing the role
- High degree of personal initiative, be a self-starter
- Excellent time management skills
- Working experience in international research institution/university
- Working experience in both Japanese and international settings
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 year. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5 hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 2.4 million yen ~ (Job class: RUA I-III, A1-3)
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
- Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.