IT Support Engineer
Providing a high-quality Standard Operating Environment (SOE) is key in creating an efficient, secure, and sustainable digital working environment. OIST uses a range of operating systems including Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux along with hundreds of business applications, research software, and collaboration tools.
This position will work as a senior member of the Service and Support Section to standardize and automate deployment of software and tools used to drive university business.
This position will have the opportunity to drive the implementation and operation of a wide range of current technologies and tools in the domains of device imaging, endpoint management, software packaging, release and deployment, cloud services, and automation.
- Implement tools, processes, and procedures for the provisioning of OIST’s Standard Operating Environment and Device Protection services, including:
- Client PC management (Windows, Mac, Linux/Ubuntu)
- Software packaging and release management for client devices (Office tools, anti-malware, browsers, research software, business applications)
- Automation of client PC imaging
- Mobile device management (iOS)
- Provision SaaS and other cloud services (Microsoft 365, SharePoint, Teams, Forms, Slack, Dropbox, Asana, SurveyMonkey, etc.)
- Work with software providers and stakeholders to ensure that software is appropriately packaged, tested, and released
- Maintain detailed documentation of relevant tools, processes, and procedures
- Provide mentoring and training to IT support staff on the effective use of deployment tools and procedures
- Diagnose, resolve, and respond to technical issues and incidents related to device and cloud services
- A degree in Information Technology or a related field
- Experience with the following software, services, and technology (or an equivalent):
- Microsoft System Center (ConfigMgr, SCOrch, SCOM)
- Mobile Device Management (MDM), preferably Intune
- Microsoft 365 (Hybrid Exchange, Azure AD, SharePoint, Teams)
- Active Directory (AD DS, DNS, GPO, CS, ADFS)
- Basic networking knowledge, with ability to communicate detailed technical requirements to network engineers
- Security-first mindset, with experience implementing mitigations to security risks and architecting systems in accordance to security best practices
- Experience educating and enabling users to capitalize on IT technologies by conducting seminars, hands-on sessions, and face-to-face support
- Self-motivated, strong sense of ownership, and desire to learn and work with new technologies
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate professionally and effectively with people of various technical ability in a multicultural, multilingual environment
- English (TOEIC 850+) OR Japanese (JLPT N1) speaker
- A master’s degree in Information Technology or a related field
- ITIL qualification holder, or experience with ITSM frameworks
- Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
- Experience in an education or research environment with research software
Native English speaker, with ability to perform business communication in Japanese
Native Japanese speaker, with ability to perform business communication in English
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours : 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Cover letter in English and Japanese (Japanese if available)
- Curriculum vitae in English and Japanese (Japanese if available)
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity educator and employer, and is working actively toward increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities(https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
- Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).