Toward the Development of an R&D Cluster in Okinawa
2nd International Workshop
- Main Theme: Strategies to enhance competiveness and attractiveness of Okinawa within the region
- Dates: March 29 (Thursday)-March 30 (Friday), 2012
- Venue: OIST Graduate University Main Campus (Tancha, Onna-son)
- Sponsors: Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology, Okinawa Prefectural Government (co-sponsor)
OIST is committed to creating a thriving center of Research & Development in Okinawa. The university benefits from Okinawa’s unique culture, location and openness to both local and global economies, together with support of the Okinawan Prefectural Government. We are eager to draw on the experiences of similar science and technology clusters and to exchange ideas with entrepreneurial leaders around the world. To this end, OIST is organizing a series of invitation-only workshops aimed at providing a forum for in-depth discussions on the topic of developing R&D clusters based on science and technology.
The first R&D Cluster Workshop was held in October 2010 and was attended by 35 leaders from academia, government, and industry. The workshop resulted in a set of broad recommendations that influenced the draft of the next 10-year development plan of the Prefecture. Building on this success, the "2nd International Workshop-Toward the development of an R&D Cluster in Okinawa" was held on March 29-30, 2012.
Participants and Workshop Themes
- Opening Remarks: Jonathan Dorfan, President, OIST Graduate University
- Guest Speech: Kiichiro Jyahana, Deputy Director General, Okinawa Prefectural Government
- Overview of the purpose and goals of the workshop: Patrick Vincent, Vice President, OIST
- Update on developing the new Okinawa Promotion Plan: Kiichiro Jyahana, Deputy Director General, OPG
Theme A: Strategies to Attract, Retain and Develop Human Capital
- Takashi Hiyane, President, Lexues Inc.
- Mikio Higa, Special Advisor, The Terrace Hotels Co., Ltd.
- Toshihisa Kato, Corporate Executive Officer, Ajinomoto Co., Inc.
- Hiroaki Kitano, Visiting Professor, OIST
- Monte Cassim, Professor/Vice-Chancellor, The Ritsumeikan Trust
- Junichi Seto, General Manager, Mitsubishi Corporation Naha Branch
- Richard Dasher, Consulting Professor, Stanford University
- Akihiko Kanemoto, President, OP BIO FACTORY Co. Ltd.
- Keisuke Taira, Advisor, University of the Ryukyus
- Hiroto Yasuura, Vice President, Kyushu University
Theme B: Financial and Business Infrastructure to Promote Entrepreneurship
- Daiya Miyazato, Associate Professor, University of the Ryukyus
- Kazumitsu Kinjo, President, Okinawa Human Capital Co., Ltd.
- Seiji Takayama, Hands-on Manager, Okinawa Industry Promotion Public Corporation
- Toru Yabiku, Counselor, The Okinawa Development Finance Corporation
- Yoshiharu Onaga, President, Okinawa Watabe Wedding Corporation
- Yali Friedman, Founder, thinkBiotech
- Ganesh Kishore, CEO, Malaysian Life Sciences Capital Fund
- Gerald McAlinn, Professor, Keio University
- Minoru Kanna, Manager in Chief, Naha Chamber of Commerce & Industry
- William Saito, Founder & CEO, InTecur
- Hajime Asato, Deputy Director General in Charge of Industrial Promotion, OPG
- Masaki Masudo, Vice Chairman, Barclays Capital Japan Ltd.
- Takeshi Miyagi, Corporate Officer, Kanehide Bio Co., Ltd
- Toshikiko Kurosu, Director of Market Development, TOKYO AIM, Inc.
- Kazuo Yamada, General Manager of Life Sciences, GE Healthcare Japan Corporation
Theme C: National and International Networking and Physical Infrastructure Planning
- Sen Tamaki, Senior Staff, Okinawa Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Hideo Yamasaki, Vice President, University of the Ryukyus
- Eisaku Otsuru, R&D Managing Director, Fukuoka Industry, Science & Technology Foundation
- Hiroto Shimoyasu, Director, Strategic Planning & Administration, Cargo Merketing & Services, All Nippon Airways Co., Ltd.
- Yoshiaki Tsukamoto, Executive Director, Bio Industry Association
- Kathryn Ibata-Arens, Associate Professor, DePaul University
- David Secher, Former President, PraxisUnico
- Philip Yeo, Chairman, SPRING Singapore
- Takaki Kamio, Senior Technical Executive, AISHIN SEIKI Co., Ltd.
- Yoshihiro Otsuji, Visiting Professor, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies
- Moriyoshi Shimabukuro, President, Tiger Sangyo Co., Ltd.
- Takayuki Ikeda, Professor Emeritus, University of the Ryukyus
- Julie Wright Meier, Strategic Advisor, Collaborative Economics
On April 23, 2012 (Monday), President Jonathan Dorfan and Steering Group Members, Mr. Takashi Hiyane and Mr. Daiya Miyazato, presented the summary reports to Okinawa Prefectural Government Vice Governor Yoshiyuki Uehara.
- Program (PDF)
- Poster (PDF)
- Summary of the 1st International Workshop "Toward the Development of an R&D Cluster in Okinawa"
The 2nd International Workshop "Toward the Development of an R&D Cluster in Okinawa" is sponsored by OIST and co-sponsored by the Okinawa Prefectural Government.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: +81-(0)966-2294