Life at OIST
Living in Okinawa is great. You can swim with tropical fish in a coral reef, experience the vitality and history of the Ryukyu culture, and enjoy the energy and variety of downtown Naha - all in a single day. Okinawa offers all the convenience and modernity of Japan with the laid-back attitude and natural vistas of a subtropical paradise.
OIST members also enjoy the support, companionship, and stimulation of the OIST community. We are making great efforts to strengthen relationships by offering more ways to communicate and more events and outings to enjoy together. One key to this effort is the OIST Welcome Club, which holds regular events like diving/ snorkeling and international food festivals to bring OIST families together.
OIST offers many resources to help staff and students adjust to life in Okinawa:
- OIST Community Wiki - user-maintained information about things like hospitals, restaurants, shopping, housing, etc.
- OIST Classifieds - a venue where members interested in buying and selling items or services can connect.
- Future plans for campus construction - information about campus housing and early childhood education facilities will develop.
And many OIST members volunteer and share other resources to strengthen the community:
- OIST Welcome Club - The OIST Welcome Club is a volunteer organization which holds regular events like diving/ snorkeling and international food festivals to bring OIST families together.
Read an article about the club's foundation or write to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Bon Appetit in Okinawa - Marine Biophysics Unit Taichi Sakagami started this blog about nearby restaurants and cafes, and he welcomes other OIST members to contribute.
- Yoe's Youtube Channel has many videos she has taken at OIST and in Okinawa.
- And the list is still growing.
- Uruma City has sponsored a multilingual website called Mall Machgwa (モールまちぐゎー) to introduce shops and resources in Uruma City.
To learn more about life in Okinawa, try some of these destinations:
- MapIt! Okinawa: An extensive Google Map of interesting places to visit and enjoy on the island.