Help us to shape the image of a rapidly growing English-language graduate university for science and technology. Work with people from over 50 countries. Experience life in Japan while learning about Okinawa’s own unique culture. Enjoy cultural events, explore coral reefs, travel around Asia, and participate in an active multicultural university community while contributing to the future of Japan’s most international university.
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in the Okinawa Prefecture of Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding. There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education, research, and innovation.
Come live in sunny Okinawa and help us build a new and innovative university in Japan.
The Web Editor will be responsible for the creation and maintenance of the content of university web pages. This includes doing markup and layout for new and legacy sites, and training and supporting the editors of user-managed websites, such as research unit and administrative section websites.
1. Create and update English and Japanese web and newsletter content.
2. Maintain web pages by repairing links, updating old information, and reformatting legacy content.
3. Provide layout and markup support to content creators and website owners.
4. Collaborate with section members on content strategy and management.
5. Ensure web content complies with copyright laws, privacy regulations, and OIST design guidelines.
6. Write, edit, and proofread Japanese content.
7. Use marketing practices and analytics to inform content strategy and decision making.
8. Support and train editors and users of CPR websites.
9. Support other section members as required.
1. Ability to speak, read, and write Japanese at native level.
2. Ability to speak, read, and write English at intermediate or higher level.
3. At least one year of experience creating, producing, and managing web content.
4. Expertise in semantic HTML, CSS, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), and Content Management Systems (CMS).
5. Ability to use Adobe Photoshop.
6. Attention to detail.
7. Creativity and curiosity.
8. Ability to work as a team player in a fast-changing, dynamic environment with diverse colleagues from many national, linguistic, and cultural backgrounds.
1. Experience using open-source CMS Drupal.
2. Expertise using Bootstrap and Tailwind frameworks.
3. Understanding of metadata, search engine structured data, and OpenGraph.
4. Experience with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5 hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
or apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Letter of intent in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese. Please include links to websites previously worked on.
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.