Technology Development Specialist
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 60 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Division Function/Position summary:
The R&D Cluster Programs Technology Development Specialist supports technology development research through the OIST Proof-of-Concept (POC) Program, a unique internal, competitive grant program that provides funding, training and other resources to OIST researchers to help bridge the gap between lab discoveries and commercial applications. The POC Program supports a range of research activities, from applied research to establishing feasibility, developing prototypes, and exploring scale up. The goal of the Program is to develop technologies toward licensing to industry or startup companies and is a key element of the commitment at OIST to seed an innovation ecosystem in Okinawa that is linked to technology transfer, industry partnerships, and startup incubation.
The Technology Development Specialist will have scientific background and skills appropriate to manage technology development research and have interest and enthusiasm to foster the effective transfer of cutting edge OIST technologies to successful commercial development.
The ideal candidate will be a motivated and resourceful self-starter, able to find opportunities and build connections within a university setting. The candidate will also be an adaptable team player able to work within the broader TDIC program to achieve IP protection and licensing, business development and establishment of an R&D cluster ecosystem around OIST.
- Work with OIST faculty and researchers to support research on innovative technologies with potential for commercial development.
- Manage the application, review, implementation, and evaluation of POC Program projects.
- Provide support for related programs at OIST that develop technologies towards commercialization, including start-up incubation and accelerator programs.
- Monitor proper project budget execution with program awardees and administrative sections.
- Work closely with the R&D Cluster Programs Manager/Assistant Manager to provide key reporting information for the program.
- Assist in negotiation of agreements with industry, including NDAs, MTAs, Collaborative Research Agreements, and Licensing Agreements, etc. needed to support POC research.
- Manage relationships with researchers, consultants and contractors, vendors, and potential industrial partners.
- Organize training, mentoring and other development activities for POC program project members.
- Work with the Technology Licensing Section and the Business Development Section to establish relationships with potential industry licensees or investors.
- PhD or M.S. in science or engineering fields.
- Business-level English, including high level of reading comprehension and writing skills in English for research documentation and research agreements.
- Effective communication skills to develop relationships between researchers at the university and industrial partners in Japan and abroad.
- Excellent time management, teamwork, and organizational skills.
- Experience in program or project management.
- Experience in the private sector.
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: Annual salary: 4.6-8.6 million yen (Job class: Specialist, A4)
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
- Curriculum vita in English (and Japanese if available)
Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
Names and contact information of 3-5 referees, at least one of which should be a previous employer
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.