Technician at Human Evolutionary Genomics Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Full-time Technician at Human Evolutionary Genomics Unit
- Cell culture routines (*may be required to work during holidays and weekends)
- Assist in all areas in support of cell culture and related duties as required
- Immunostaining and fluorescent microscopy imaging
- Support other experiments such as genotyping and qPCR in needed
- Collaborate with lab members to assist with essential laboratory maintenance
- Associate degree required, degree in life sciences field preferred
- Experience in mammalian cell culture technique and aseptic processing
- Hands-on experience in fluorescent microscopy imaging
- Strong verbal and written technical communication skills with both scientific and non-scientific audiences
- Highly motivated, comfortable working in a fast-paced dynamic research and development environment
- Ability to work independently and in teams consisting of members with different degrees of knowledge or ability
- Ability to identify challenges and implement potential improvements to work procedures preferred
- Stem cell culture (Pluripotent stem cell maintenance and differentiation)
- Experience with animal (mice) experiments
- Working knowledge of proteomic, genomic, metabolomic, and other analytical assays such as real-time PCR, ELISA, and flow cytometry
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for one year in the first instance and may be extended. Contract initially with a 3-month probationary period (inclusive).
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations. Salary and benefits are competitive.
- Relocation, housing, and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
Successful applicants will be selected after an initial screening process based on the submission documents, followed by an in-person or web interview.
- Curriculum vita in English (and Japanese if available)
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
- Names and contact information of 2 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
- Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
- Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities (https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
- Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).