Section Leader in Environmental Science and Informatics Section
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Division Function/Position summary:
Reporting to the Provost, responsible for supporting terrestrial field environmental research activities, management of data collection, data curation, and data analysis. As a key member of OKEON Churamori project, also responsible for coordination of the steering committee, overseeing management of the field site, and facilitating researchers in designing projects using OKEON field sites and OKEON data, under guidance of the steering committee.(ref. OKEON project)
- Together with section members, support terrestrial field environmental research activities at OIST, including obtaining appropriate permission for field sites.
- Manage data collection, data curation, and data analysis and facilitate the distribution open access resources.
- Pursue original research using data collected from the OKEON Churamori project and other original research.
- Be a key member of the OKEON Churamori project, including coordination of the steering committee, oversee management of the OKEON Churamori website, and organization of outreach activities.
- Facilitate OIST faculty units and external researchers in designing projects using OKEON field sites and OKEON data, under guidance of the steering committee.
- Seek and pursue opportunities to expand the scope and impact of OKEON Churamori project, including developing national and international partnerships and pursuing external funding.
- Making a business plan for OKEON Churamori project for near future and next 10 years.
- Organise training and career development of section staff.
- Duties required of a manager in the Research Support Division
- Ph.D. and minimum 5 years of relevant experience in research
- Extensive knowledge in Ecological Science or a related field
- A strong record of research experience and research accomplishment
- Business level communication skills in English
- Experience working in a team environment
- Good collaborative skills relevant to a multi-user environment
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- The ability to establish and maintain effective work relationship
- Communication skills in Japanese
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 - 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive).
This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
- Access to Child Development Center
- Access to Schooling Options
- Language Educateion
- Recource Center (Daily Life Support in Okinawa)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Letter of intent in both English and Japanese (if possible)
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese (if possible)
- Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Japanese nationals are required to submit both documents in English and Japanse
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.