Research Unit Administrator (RUA) in Human Developmental Neurobiology Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Research Unit Administrators will be involved in a world-class research by performing a full range of administrative duties to support the Research Unit(s) achieve its objectives. For the Human Developmental Neurobiology Unit, we are seeking a highly motivated individual to join a research team committed to advancing understanding and management of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
- Perform administrative tasks for faculty and unit members such as managing calendars, booking travel and accommodation, scheduling facilities and equipment, overseeing budget management, handling purchase orders and payment for research equipment, participants etc.
- Perform English to Japanese and Japanese to English translation of research and publicity materials, including preliminary translation of ethics proposal applications, grant applications and power-point slide presentations.
- Assist in interpreting English to Japanese and Japanese to English as required.
- Serve as the initial contact person for Japanese and English-speaking families interested in participating in Unit research activities. This includes explaining the nature of the unit’s research in Japanese and/or English.
- Maintain contact, as appropriate, with families participating in the Units research activities.
- Serve as a coordinator of Research Unit events, workshops as required, organize logistics for attendees.
- Assist faculty in hiring members of the Research Unit by posting advertisements and arranging interviews, travel etc.
- Prepare annual reports, collect scientific productivity data, and update website for the Research Unit
- Perform other administrative duties as assigned
- Proven ability to provide assistance from varying requesters/sources often representing different worldwide locations and time zones
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience
- At least two years clerical or administrative experience
- Ability to speak and write in English and Japanese fluently and idiomatically (TOEIC 850 or higher)
- Advanced understanding of the need for, and management of, private and confidential personal information
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with a diverse range of people and job functions in both Japanese and English
- Effective organizational skills, with demonstrated high level of accuracy attention to detail and a proven ability to handle multiple priorities
- Computer skills and proficiency in software (MS Office: PowerPoint, Excel, Word, and Outlook)
- Proactive attitude for learning about and enhancing the role
- High degree of personal initiative, be a self-starter
- Excellent time management skills
- Working experience in both Japanese and international settings
- Working experience in international research institution/university
- Degree in social sciences
- Prior experience in working with confidential personal information
- Genuine interest in the Units research agenda
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 year. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 2.4 million ~ (Job class: Administrative I-III, A1-3)
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
- Letter of intent in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
- Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.