Postdoctoral Scholars and Technicians in Chemistry and Chemical Bioengineering Unit (Tanaka Unit)
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Positions of postdoctoral scholars and technicians are available in the Chemistry and Chemical Bioengineering Unit (Tanaka Unit) at OIST.
Division Function/Position summary:
(Position) Postdoctoral Scholars and Technicians (Chemistry)
(Division) Chemistry and Chemical Bioengineering Unit (Tanaka Unit)
Successful candidates will be involved in research on one or more of the projects related to:
1. Development of chemical transformation methods, including catalytic asymmetric reaction methods and organocatalysis strategies, useful for the synthesis of small organic molecules that contribute to the investigation and control of biological systems
2. Development of strategies for the creation and synthesis of molecules that control functions of biomolecules
3. Development of protein labeling (bioconjugation) methods
Postdoctoral Scholars: Applicants must have a Ph.D. and demonstrated excellence in research relevant to work on the projects described above.
Technicians: Applicants must have a B.S. or M.S. and have experience in research relevant to work on the projects described above.
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 year. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Please submit all required application materials by email to:
(replace # with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
Tanaka Unit recruiting
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1 Tancha, Onna, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
1. Cover Letter (written in English or Japanese) including the date of application, name, e-mail address, phone number at which the applicant can be contacted, and a brief description of motivation/reason for applying for this post.
2. CV with publication list (written in English or Japanese); Japanese names should be written in both Japanese and English), address, date of birth, nationality, education (including adviser names), positions held, memberships in scientific societies, honors/awards, publications, presentations, etc.
3. Research performed (written in English or Japanese); 1 or 2 pages. Figures can be included within this page limitation.
4. Names and contact details of three references (for Postdoctoral Scholars) or two (for Technicians); contact details should include e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and postal addresses; Japanese names and addresses should be written in both Japanese and English (in applications written in Japanese); agreements should be obtained prior to submission of the application that references may be contacted in confidentiality. Two recommendation letters written in English will be obtained before a hiring decision is made.
Additional information may be requested during selection.
Application Due Date
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity educator and employer, and is working actively toward increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities (https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (https://www.oist.jp).
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.