Postdoctoral Scholar/ Computational Neuroscience Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) is a model for change in education and research with the best international graduate students, working side by side with world-class faculty in modern well-equipped laboratories. Beautifully situated on the island of Okinawa, OIST relies on a cross-disciplinary approach, with an emphasis on creativity and exchange, to offer unique, individualized graduate training. OIST is a university with no departments, eliminating artificial barriers between people working in different fields, but many nationalities, with students and faculty being attracted from all over the world. Concentrating initially on Neuroscience, Molecular Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Environmental and Ecological Sciences and Physical Sciences, OIST is bringing some of the best researchers in the world to Okinawa to transform the way science and education is done in the global academic world.
Postdoctoral Scholar position in reconstruction, analyzing and modeling dendritic morphology and growth.
Postdoctoral Scholar position is available in the Computational Neuroscience Unit of Prof. Erik De Schutter at the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University, Japan.
Computational Neuroscience Unit
The hired postdoctoral scholar is expected to make valuable contributions to the STEPS project (http://steps.sourceforge.net) in two ways: 1) by researching molecular neuronal processes and designing novel techniques and routines for accurate computational modeling of such systems, and 2) contributing to realistic applications of the new techniques in biological modeling studies. In performing these tasks, the candidate is expected to contribute to publications that are either based on theory and computational techniques, or geared more towards answering real biological questions through computational modeling. As such the ideal candidate will have a scientific background but also possess good programming skills.
For the postdoctoral Scholar position a recent PhD is required in a relevant discipline such as neuroscience, molecular biology, biophysics, biochemistry.
We require a talented programmer with experience in C++ and Python. In satisfying these criteria, it is expected that the candidate has some experience of modeling neuronal or other biological processes computationally, but this is not essential if the candidate has a strong enough interest in moving into the field. Fluent English conversation and writing skills are required.
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years contract initially. This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp ), welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin), worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Curriculum vita in English
- A summary of research interests and experience
- Names and contact information of 3 referees
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).