Postdoctoral Researcher in Gravity, Quantum Geometry and Field Theory Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Applications are invited for a 2-year postdoc position in the Gravity, Quantum Geometry and Field Theory group (Principal Investigator: Reiko Toriumi) at Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST) Graduate University, Japan, starting in the Fall of 2020. The successful applicant will work in the group lead by Prof. Reiko Toriumi.
- The candidate is expected to actively contribute to the research program of Gravity, Quantum Geometry and Field Theory group including meetings and seminars, and to mentor student research.
- The candidate must have a clear research plan, and be able to achieve research objectives.
- The candidate is expected to be in residence for the time of appointment. Support for conference and collaboration travel/host is provided.
- Applicants are required to have completed Ph.D. in Theoretical Physics and/or Mathematics by the time of appointment and have a background in quantum gravity, quantum field theory, random geometry or related areas.
- We are looking for a self-motivated, responsible, and respectful researcher.
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written English.
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years, starting Fall 2020. There may be an opportunity to renew it.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
Application documents in pdf (in English)
- Cover letter
- Research statement (includes future research plan)
- CV including publication list
- Three reference letters to be submitted through Academic Jobs Online at : https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/15506.
The application materials 1, 2, and 3 should be compiled in one single pdf file and should be sent to email@example.com. Please submit only the reference letters through Academic Jobs Online https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/15506. Inquiries may be directed to Dr. Reiko Toriumi at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Please refere to How To Apply
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.