Postdoctoral Position in Neurobiology Research Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
We are seeking a talented behavioral neuroscientist to join a research group working on learning mechanisms of the basal ganglia. We have a particular focus on dopamine and acetylcholine in the striatum, and their role in behavioral flexibility (e.g. Aoki et al, 2015, 2018). Candidates should have experience in rodent behavior, and experience or interest in learning in current neurobiological methods in use in the laboratory, such as in vivo two-photon imaging, fiber photometry, and optogenetics or electrophysiology.
Wickens Unit (Neurobiology Research Unit)
- Applicants must have a PhD with equivalent research experience.
- Excellent communication skills and enthusiasm to work in groups are essential.
- Experience in behavioral studies of learning and neurobiology research.
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. This contract may be renewed in accordance with OIST Regulations.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
wickens[at]oist.jp or ysuzuki[at]oist.jp
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
Wickens Unit. c/o Yukako Suzuki
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
Please be sure your e-mail Title is this so that we can track of receiving e-mails. [Postdoc_2019_LAST NAME_FIRST NAME]
- Curriculum vita in English (and Japanese if available)
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
- Names and contact information of three referees, one of which should be a previous employer
- Summary of research interests
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.