Internal Communications Lead
Come lead the internal communications program of a rapidly growing English-language graduate university for science and technology. Work with people from over 50 countries. Experience life in Japan while learning about Okinawa’s own unique culture. Enjoy cultural events, explore coral reefs, travel around Asia, and participate in an active multicultural university community while contributing to the future of Japan’s most international university. The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) is a dynamic graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding. There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education, research, and innovation.
The Internal Communications Lead reports directly to the Vice-President of Communication and Public Relations (VPCPR) and works closely with the rest of the Executive Management Team. They will oversee the internal communications program and staff and will directly support institutional staff engagement goals.
- Collaborating with OIST Executive Leadership to prioritize the internal institutional communications goals, to continue to develop the internal communications program, to enhance organizational culture and engagement, and to support the 2020–2030 Strategic Plan, providing regular reports on program metrics and activities.
- Providing internal communications consulting, planning, and support—including writing and editing for key communications to internal audiences—to the Office of the President, the OIST Executive, OIST Management, and OIST Faculty.
- Developing, coordinating, and implementing strategic communication plans to inform and engage internal audiences including faculty, staff, students, and alumni.
- Participating in strategic planning sessions, management meetings, and project meetings with colleagues—assisting in the development and deployment of internal messaging and helping to coordinate awareness to external audiences, when appropriate.
- Developing and overseeing internal communications channels, promoting best practice in internal communications throughout the campus.
- Advising on internal responses to high-impact situations, including campus-wide emergencies and reputational issues.
- Managing the internal communications team and demonstrating leadership on the Communication and Public Relations Team
- Overseeing budget and ensuring program goals are reached.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, or Business Administration
- Five to eight years of experience in communications, journalism, or marketing
- Management or leadership experience
- Skilled in writing, editing, and proofreading
- Strong verbal and written communications skills (native-level English language)
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with a diverse group of people
- Master’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, or Business Administration
- Japanese language skills
- Experience working in an international setting
- Experience in Drupal
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 year/2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5 hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Cover letter in English
- Curriculum vitae in English
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.