Internal Communications Assistant
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST – www.oist.jp) will become a model for change in education and research with the best international graduate students, working side by side with world-class faculty in modern well-equipped laboratories. Beautifully situated on the island of Okinawa, OIST relies on a cross-disciplinary approach, with an emphasis on creativity and exchange, to offer unique, individualized graduate training. OIST is a university with no departments, eliminating artificial barriers between people working in different fields, but many nationalities, with students and faculty being attracted from all over the world. Concentrating initially on Neuroscience, Molecular Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Environmental and Ecological Sciences and Physical Sciences, OIST is bringing some of the best brains in the world to Okinawa to transform the way science and education is done in the global academic world.
- Supporting the Internal Communications Lead with content creation and design duties including, but not limited to:
- Preparing material for all OIST internal channels (e.g., OIST's intranet portal, internal communications social media, OIST Essentials internal newsletters, print promotional materials, internal websites managed by internal comms, and additional content curation and updates across OIST’s digital and traditional media channels as needed)
- Working closely and supportively with staff across OIST on matters such as promotion of events, information sharing, staff benefits and promotions, community activities, and opportunities to support cultural and public engagement events
- Liaising as required with OIST design and digital staff where relevant
- Serving as a back-up for the duties of the Internal Communications Lead as needed
- Coordinate translation of IC content as needed
- Ensure all promotional materials within OIST—both print (e.g., posters, flyers, and trifolds distributed around the entire campus) and digital (e.g., info screens, event websites, and Groups calendar)—are up-to-date and accurate
- Editing and proofreading a wide range of administrative and scientific documents, and continually promoting this service to OIST staff
- Ability to write clearly in English at a business level with work experience in editing documents
- Ability to organize and prioritize workflow, with a high level of accuracy
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with a diverse community
- High degree of personal initiative and an interest in developing community relations
- Computer skills and proficiency in software (MS Office: Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook, Acrobat)
- Education to at least Associate degree level or equivalent experience
- Working experience in international research institution/university
- Working experience in both Japanese and international settings
- Experience in digital design (ex. Websites, flyers, posters, social media posts, newsletters, etc.)
- Experience of science editing or a degree in a science subject
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 year/2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5 hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
or apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
Letter of intent in English (and Japanese if available)
Curriculum vitae in English (and Japanese if available)
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity educator and employer, and is working actively toward increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities(https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
- Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).