CDC Head of Administration
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
As part of continued efforts to improve the educational environment for children of employees and students, OIST is seeking to appoint a Full Time CDC Head of Administration at OIST’s Child Development Center Preschool Program. The CDC Head of Administration will be responsible for the daily administrative operations of the Preschool program for children ages 2 months to 6 years of age.
1. Management Support
- Perform classroom inspections and health and safety checks and provide feedback to teachers
- Conduct initial screenings and interviews for all new CDC employees
- Deputize along with Preschool Assistant Director in the absence of Director
- Support Group Leaders regarding inquiries and concerns from parents or staffs
- Assist with other daily duties as needed
- Collect, process, and analyze CDC data for decision making, auditing and reporting purposes
- Manage budgets and financial procedures related to the CDC
- Manage and maintain IT systems, website, email distribution lists and forms
- Oversee all enrolment-related procedures for children
- Document and communicate information about the law as it applies to preschool policy, education, school curriculum, rules and expectations of local governance
- Ensure compliance with CDC and OIST Health and Safety policy and procedures
- Ensure compliance with national, regional and local regulations and policies
- Ensure all administrative procedures are implemented in an efficient and effective manner
- Ensure all CDC procedures are documented, available through the website, and executed efficiently
- Coordinate with Facility Management Section for maintenance of the CDC buildings and facilities
- Liaise with OIST administrative divisions (HR, Finance, IT, BFM, UCS, etc.)
- Serve as point of contact for agency temp related matters
- Maintain and update all CDC handbooks annually
- Maintain relations with the local and prefectural education, childcare and welfare departments
- Attend and participate in internal and external meetings, and center events, as requested
- Bachelor’s Degree in an appropriate field or an Associate Degree in Early Childhood Education
Effective computer skills, including experience with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- At least 5 years of experience working in a multilingual and multicultural environment
- Native level Japanese and strong English communication skills (verbal and written)
- Valid Japanese drivers’ license
- Degree in Early Childhood Education
- Licensed Early Childhood Teacher
- Experience working in an international environment
- Leadership experience in an academic environment
- CPR/ First Aid Certification
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1-2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Letter of intent in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
- Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity educator and employer, and is working actively toward increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities(https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
- Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).