Academic Coordinator - Theoretical Sciences Visiting Program
The Faculty Affairs Office (FAO) handles all faculty and related research matters, including the Theoretical Sciences Visiting Program (TSVP.) Visiting programs have been central to the modern practice of theoretical sciences by organizing workshops and residential programs which bring together leading researchers in a given area. Visiting programs have a significant impact on research and result in increased productivity and publications, enriching the intellectual life of the institution.
The TSVP has two distinct elements. The first is topic-driven residential workshops based on proposals solicited twice a year. The second is visits by scientists, usually long-term, ranging from three months to a year. Shorter visits by individual scientists are also considered. All visits are considered based on the scientific merit and interdisciplinary nature of the proposal.
The FAO seeks an Academic Coordinator for the TSVP with a scientific background and strong organizational skills to manage the entire program’s activities. Reporting to the Dean/ Vice-Dean of Faculty Affairs, the Academic Coordinator will oversee the program implementation, coordinate with other stakeholders to secure resources, establish services, formulating policies, and implementing practical processes for the TSVP.
- Oversee the application process and supervise the on-site organization of the program activities.
- Solicit applications and handle screening of proposals based on scientific merit by working with the selection committee (faculty committee).
- Communicate with applicants and ensure successful onboarding and departure of visitors. This includes discussing and creating the agreements with visitors and planning their logistics.
- Plan and execute an operating budget for this program, including visitor’s travel, accommodation, and workshop expenses.
- Liaise with Space Allocation Committee and the Building and Facility Management Section to ensure office space/seminar rooms as well as on-campus accommodation housing for visitors.
- Support organizing symposiums and colloquiums accessible to a broad OIST audience. Promote such events outside of OIST.
- Prepare an annual report with quarterly updates on the status of the TSVP. This includes collecting information on publications by the visitors to be registered to OIST Institutional Repository.
- Collaborate with Communications and Public Relations Section to engage in online marketing of the program externally to potential visitors. Take ownership of the social media promotion of the TSVP.
- Promote the TVSP internally to faculty, researchers, and the OIST community.
- Any other duties as required to implement the program, including policy writing.
- Understanding of research acquired through a Ph.D. in theoretical sciences;
- Proven success in project management and demonstrated experience in leading small teams and budgeting;
- Experience in leading direct reports including mentorship and performance management;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills working and interacting with researchers;
- Exceptional organizational and professional software skills;
- Dynamic, pleasant professional with a get-things-done mindset;
- Experience organizing residential science workshops or symposiums
- Experience in research collaborations or academic partnerships;
- Experience in logistics and financial oversight;
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5 hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Cover letter in both English (and Japanese if available)
- Curriculum vitae in both English (and Japanese if available)
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.