> (MOFA) https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html .
> (MHLW) https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=ja&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mhlw.go.jp%2Fstf%2Fseisakunitsuite%2Fbunya%2F0000121431_00209.html&sandbox=1
Denial of the enter and re-entry from countries/regions with high concern of coronavirus B.1.617 family (delta variant)
The re-entry into Japan of foreign nationals with status of residence who have stayed in certain countries/regions designated in response to coronavirus variants of special concern on border measures within 14 days prior to the application for landing will be denied for the time being unless there are special exceptional circumstances.
India, Pakistan, Nepal
>Section 2 "Denial of the re-entry from countries/regions with high concern of coronavirus B.1.617 family (delta variant) (New)"
New border measures:
Mutant Strain B.1.617
- You are requested to stay for 10 days at specific facilities designated by the chief of the quarantine station.
- On the third, sixth and tenth day, you will be requested to take COVID-19 test.
- Those who have negative results in these tests leave the facility and are required to self-quarantine at home/ accommodation during the remaining period of 14 days after entering Japan.
Countries/Regions with Community Transmission of Corona Variants of Concern & Designated countries/regions in response to coronavirus infection of special concern
- You are requested to stay for three or six days at specific facilities designated by the chief of the quarantine station.
- On the third and third or sixth day, you will be required to take COVID-19 test.
- Those who have negative results may leave from facilities secured by the Quarantine Station but are still required to stay for the remaining period of 14 days after the entry into Japan at home/ accommodation.
*The quarantine schedule is different depending on the countries. Please check the link below to see more detail.
>Section 3 "3. Quarantine measures (New)"
- You will be required to get tested at the port of entry.
- Those who have negative result in this test leave the facility and are required to self-quarantine at home/ accommodation. during the remaining period of 14 days after entering Japan.
Inspection Certificate https://www.mhlw.go.jp/stf/covid-19/bordercontrol.html#h2_2
*If you cannot use the prescribed format due to circumstances, you may use arbitrary format.
*Only one test method and sample collection method listed in the MHWL webpage is valid.
*Refrain from using any types of unofficial forms which causes the denial of entry.
Test Declaration Form (Chinese Nationals Only) https://www.mofa.go.jp/mofaj/files/100119502.pdf
Written Pledge https://www.mofa.go.jp/files/100168885.pdf
*Those who do not own a smartphone are requested to rent one.
*If you do not have electric device and would like to rent the one at the airport, please look at the website below: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&u=https://www.vision-net.co.jp/news/20210319002098.html
*Version of smartphone/iPhone should be above 13.5 (iOS) and 6.0 (Android)
Current Information from the Government of Japan
While the travel advice “Avoid All Travel” has already been issued for level 3 countries/regions, short-term visits to countries/regions with community transmission of coronavirus variants of concern, particularly by those with the intention of returning to Japan, is strongly requested to be avoided.
The following applies only to Japanese Nationals or those who have a Special Re-Entry Permit (for return to Japan within one year) or a Re-Entry Permit (for return to Japan after more than one year abroad), beginning on March 18, 2021
- Those who do not have an approved certificate of negative test result issued within the 72 hours prior to departure will be denied entry into Japan. Airlines refuse to board those without one.
https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page25e_000334.html (Latest form)
https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000770639.pdf (example of valid and invalid test type)
*Chinese nationals are subject to submit “Test Declaration Form” along with the “Certificate of inspection”. https://www.cn.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_ja/00_000553.html
- The installation of video calling and location-based apps and the authenticity of your contact information on the “Written Pledge” will be checked upon your arrival to the restricted area of the airport.
- Those who do not own a smartphone are requested to rent one.
- *If you do not have electric device and would like to rent the one at the airport, please look at the website below: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&u=https://www.vision-net.co.jp/news/20210319002098.html *NOTE: Version of smartphone/iPhone should be above 13.5 (iOS) and 6.0 (Android)
- All cross-border travelers are requested to specify the means transportation they will use in Japan (reserved train, private car, etc.) in their “Written Pledge”, which will be submitted to the Quarantine Station.
- “Health Monitoring Center for Overseas Entrants” conducts monitoring for all cross-border travelers for 14 days after they enter Japan to confirm their location data (every day), to check their condition using video calls (every day), and to conduct visits in case contact is lost for more than 3 days.
- Note: Theses monitoring requirements will now be more strongly reinforced, and they will now apply to more than just travelers from countries/regions with community transmission of coronavirus variants of concern.
- Real-time RT-PCR tests will be conducted, instead of the quantitative antigen test, for travelers from countries/regions with community transmission of coronavirus variants of concern after staying for 3 days at a facility designated by the Chief of the Quarantine Station.
- To ensure appropriate implementation of quarantine measures, the number of passengers on an aircraft arriving in Japan, including those from countries/regions with community transmission of coronavirus variants of concern, will be restricted, and the total number of foreign arrivals will be controlled.
Necessary apps that must be installed on your smartphone before entering Japan.
- OEL (Location information-confirming app)
- To report your location information to the Ministry of Health, Labour and Wealth (MHLW).
- To confirm your current location by answering video calls made by a staff of HCO (Health Monitoring Center for Overseas Entrants).
- CAUTION: Please do not install the app searched in App Store or Google Play store. Please tap on the Link here (https://mysosp.page.link/sfY2kRrviv4t4eFy7) or capture the QR code here.
- You will need to download and activate this app after entering Japan.
- Google Maps
- You will need to activate location storing system after entering Japan.
More details about the necessary apps: https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000753114.pdf (English)
You must also submit this questionnaire and receive your associated QR code before your flight to Japan.
You can select your language at the top of the page. After submitting the questionnare, you will receive a QR code. You must take a screenshot or make a photocopy of it so you can show or submit it to the immigration officer.
To get more information, visit the website of Ministry of Foreign Affairs here.
You apply for a Special Re-Entry Permit at the airport immigration office when you depart from Japan. Please note the Special Re-Entry Permit is valid for just one year from the departure date, and you must come back to Japan within one year.
If you leave Japan for more than one year, you need to apply for a Re-Entry Permit at your local immigration office, not at the airport.
If your Residence Card expires before the expiry date of your Re-entry permit, you must come back to renew it.
Please view the Immigration Service Agency of Japan's website for more information: https://www.isa.go.jp/en/applications/guide/kanri_qa.html
Travel must be approved by your manager. A PCR testing series is not currently required, but you may request it.
You are free to travel within Okinawa. Please be aware that some remote islands in the Okinawa prefecture with vulnerable medical systems continue to practice caution regarding visitors, so please take thorough health precautions and check the webpage of the municipality of your destination to inform your decision to travel or not. A PCR testing series is not currently required, but you may request it.
Travel must be approved by your manager. If you are travelling to a prefecture under a State of Emergency, your division head must also approve. A PCR testing series is required upon your return, and you must wait until your first negative result before returning to OIST. If you are a regular full-time staff member and are able to work from home, you may do so while waiting for your first test result.
You are free to travel within Japan. Please take all preventative precautions during your travel. A PCR testing series is not currently required for personal travel, but is recommended. If you are a regular full-time staff member and are able to work from home, you may do so while waiting for your first test result.
We do not currently support international business travel as a general rule. If you are taking approved international business travel, the working days of your 2-week quarantine period upon your return to Japan will be recorded as “business trip” in HEART.
Should the border restrictions in Japan change, we will update this page accordingly.
For information about international travel for new hires, please contact the Relocation Team.
Due to the rapidly changing nature of the novel coronavirus and associated Japanese border enforcement measures, personal international travel must be taken at your own risk. If you are not a Japanese citizen, your ability to re-enter Japan upon your scheduled return flight is not guaranteed. In addition, all testing, documentation, and quarantine expenses required for this travel are your sole responsibility. For more information about the current re-entry requirements for Japanese and foreign national, please visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan website.
OIST does allow 10 days of special leave for use during your quarantine period at your point of entry into Japan. If you are a regular full-time employee who is able to work during this period, you may do so.
Once you return to Okinawa, an additional PCR testing series is not currently required for personal travel, but is recommended. If you are a regular full-time staff member and are able to work from home, you may do so while waiting for your first test result.
If any member of your shared household returns from travel, OIST colleagues can take the PCR Test series on days 4, 6 and 10 after their household member returns, coming on campus from day 1. If any household member develops any symptoms related to COVID-19, the whole household should quarantine and the OIST member of staff should contact the Health Center.
We cannot issue a medical certificate because OIST special PCR test is not a clinical examination. Also, only the certificates issued by the registered medical institutions may be accepted depending on your destination. To find a medical institution in which you can take PCR test and receive a negative certificate, please check the webpage TeCOT (COVID-19 Testing Center for Overseas Travelers) promoted by the Japanese government. For example, the two international airports around Tokyo (Narita and Haneda) have the registered facilities in their terminals. Please contact us 10 days (at latest) prior to your departure if you need our assistance to set up an appointment.
For the latest update on this information, please visit the Health Guidance Page
Please go to the PCR Testing website for more information and to register for your test.
If you are waiting for your first OIST PCR test result, please do not send your child to the CDC.
For personal travel, we ask one parent to get a PCR test before bringing their child back to the CDC after travel outside Okinawa.