Vice President for Technology Development and Innovation
The Technology Development & Innovation Center catalyzes University research-based interdisciplinary collaboration, innovation, and commercialization. The Vice President for Technology Development & Innovation reports directly to the President and will provide visionary leadership aligned with the University’s priorities concerning innovation and entrepreneurship. The Vice President will manage the following functions: intellectual property management and technology transfer, academic-industry collaborations, public-private research sponsorship, entrepreneurship and startup incubation, proof-of-concept research funding, and special programs related to economic development. The Vice President will lead a team of licensing and business development professionals supporting commercialization strategies for University discoveries that address unmet market needs.
About the Technology Development & Innovation Center: https://groups.oist.jp/tdic
- Encourage and support innovation and entrepreneurship by developing and maintaining processes, policies, and guidelines that support inventors through the full pipeline from discovery through commercialization to produce economic and societal benefit from the University’s intellectual property portfolio.
- Engage and foster strategic partnerships and collaborations that enhance the University’s research competencies, reputation, and economic impact.
- Identify opportunities to support interdisciplinary research and serve to connect diverse stakeholders in developing and commercializing transformational science.
- Enhance resources that guide University entrepreneurs through the process of advancing technologies to market through the formation, incubation, and growth of new ventures.
- Expand funding opportunities through knowledge transfer, public-private research sponsorship, and startup investment
- Contribute to the development and delivery of education programs to support technology transfer, industry engagement, and entrepreneurship across the University.
- Engage and develop a network of resources and partners inside and outside of the University.
- Develop and implement a strategic plan in alignment with the University’s vision for innovation and entrepreneurship that includes metrics of success and impact.
- Oversee the operation of Incubator Facility, for early stage startups, and the competitive Startup Accelerator program, to bring national and international entrepreneurs to the university.
- Manage TDIC staff and coordinate a network of mentors and advisors.
- Manage TDIC budget including internal funding, licensing income, corporate research agreements, and external grants and donations
- Ph.D. or equivalent in science, engineering or business
- 10+ years of technology transfer experience related to managing the flow of research innovation, disclosures, patents, trademarks, copyrights and other aspects of technology commercialization
- Track record of leading technology development and commercialization programs, including commercialization of university-based discoveries and academic-industry partnerships
- Extensive knowledge of post-deal IP asset portfolio management, including royalty determination, allocation and distribution, management of shareholdings and startup investment
- Experience in starting companies, preferably related to university innovations
- Experience in negotiating and administering complex agreements
- Experience in developing diverse funding opportunities
- Access to a global network of industry leaders, innovators, entrepreneurs, and investors
- Strong team management and coordination skills
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 3 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Letter of intent in English (and Japanese if available)
- Curriculum vitae in English (and Japanese if available)
- Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity educator and employer, and is working actively toward increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities (https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
- Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (https://www.oist.jp).