Vice President for Human Resources
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 60 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Division for Gender Equality and Human Resource Development
The Vice President for Human Resources (VPHR) is responsible for planning, developing and implementing human resource management strategies to strengthen employee engagement and optimize individual and organization success. The VPHR will lead the organizational development, that will cultivate strong, collaborative partnership across the university. The VPHR has overall accountability for HR performance university wide, ensuring compliance with the Japanese employment and labor laws, employee relations, and diversity and inclusion.
OIST strives to be a model of excellence in education, research, innovation and administration. The VPHR is expected to contribute to this goal as an integral member of the executive leadership team at OIST.
- Re-evaluate the current HR Strategy to ensure its alignment to the new OIST Mission/Vision/Values and develop a new HR strategic plan.
- Lead to cultivate strong, collaborative partnerships across the university, and demonstrate a measurable impact on our employee and organizational needs.
- Lead to develop and implement strategic HR initiatives including succession and manpower planning, management and employee competency building, appropriate classification and a fair and equitable salary review and employee compensation and ensure uniform implementation of HR policies and procedures across OIST in collaboration with executives and managers.
- Monitor/manage overall personnel expenditures, collaborating with the COO/Executives
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the HR division including budgeting, planning and staff development.
- Carry out any other duties as reasonably required by the COO/Executives.
- Able to advise President/CEO/COO/Dean/Executives and departmental leaders on strategic and operational decisions; serve as partner on human resources strategies and functions, supervise GEHR Division members.
- Able to lead the HR effort to ensure uniform implementation of HR policies and procedures across OIST in collaboration with executives and managers.
- Skilled decision-maker, with integrity and transparency.
- Professional with deep knowledge and working experience of all matters concerning HR compliance and HR related labor laws and practices, preferably good knowledge of policies, programs, labor laws and practices in Japan.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and demonstrated ability to effectively interface with people at all levels.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English, good Japanese language skill is an asset.
- Experience working at a university or a research institution.
- Experience working in an international environment where a large portion of the employees are internationally recruited.
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 3 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Job class: Vice President (A8)
Annual salary: according to the OIST rules and regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Curriculum vita in English (and Japanese if available)
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
- Names and contact information of 3~5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.