Vice President for Financial Management
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Division for Financial Management
The Vice President for Financial Management (VPFM) provides both strategic and operational support to the University with a reliable broad knowledge to all accounting, budgeting, procurement and any financial and business principles. The VPFM is a strategic thinker and effective leader who can make the most profitable decisions for the university. The goal is to guide OIST as to the financially sustainable University and long-term success.
The VPFM is responsible for financial and accounting affairs, budget, procurement and other finance-related tasks of the University under the supervision of CEO/President and COO as specified in OIST’s Policies, Rules and Procedures (PRP). The VPFM leads the budget planning, allocation and execution monitoring, as well as negotiation with the Cabinet Office for OIST budget request.
- Lead the strategic financial management of the University, maximizing income and containing costs.
- Supervise the operation of the University budgets and the accounting against such budgets.
- Provide financial advice to help drive management decisions on resource allocation priorities to achieve the University ‘s strategic mission.
- Develop credibility for the division by providing timely and accurate analysis of budgets and financial reports that will assist the President, the Board and other Executives in managing their responsibilities.
- Play an integral role in cultivating relationship with the Cabinet Office (CAO) to be accountable for its budget execution and business operations to the Japanese Government.
- Guide the division in using the appropriate algorithms and IT programs in planning, controlling and executing the budget.
- Carry out any other duties as reasonably required by the COO/Executives.
- Able to advise COO/Dean/Executives and departmental leaders on strategic and operational decisions, serve as a partner on financial management strategies and function, supervise Financial Management Division members.
- Able to lead the financial management effort to ensure uniform implementation of its policies and procedures across OIST in collaboration with executives and managers.
- Skilled decision-maker, with integrity and transparency.
- Experience in budget request process at Japanese government, agencies or other related institutions over five years and handling subsidies from Japanese or local governments.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills in Japanese, with native level English speaking skills.
- Experience in higher education/research institution is desirable.
- Experience in financial and administrative leadership, preferably in directing people in a multinational environment.
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 3 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Job class: Vice President (A8)
Annual salary: according to the OIST rules and regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Curriculum vita in English and Japanese
- Cover letter in English and Japanese
- Names and contact information of 3~5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.