Vice President for Buildings & Facility Management
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) will become a model for change in education and research with the best international graduate students, working side by side with world-class faculty in modern well-equipped laboratories. Beautifully situated on the island of Okinawa, OIST relies on a cross-disciplinary approach, with an emphasis on creativity and exchange, to offer unique, individualized graduate training. OIST is a university with no departments, eliminating artificial barriers between people working in different fields, but many nationalities, with students and faculty being attracted from all over the world. Concentrating initially on Neuroscience, Molecular Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Environmental and Ecological Sciences and Physical Sciences, OIST is bringing some of the best brains in the world to Okinawa to transform the way science and education is done in the global academic world.
The university is about to commence a major campus expansion program and anticipates the facilities and infrastructure building continuing.
OIST is seeking a senior manager to oversee its campus construction and facility management activities. The ideal candidate will have a minimum 10 years or more experience in the management of construction and facilities in Japan. The job requires strong team management and coordination skills, and business level fluency in both English and Japanese. The current Vice President for Buildings and Facilities Management will be leaving the role at the end of 2020. In order to ensure a smooth handover of responsibilities he will undertake a consulting and advisory role in the first quarter of 2021.
- Working closely with the President, his executive management team and the faculty about all aspects of campus and facility planning and implementation.
- Overseeing space allocation and utilization within the campus.
- Planning expansion projects and associated budgeting strategies. Preparing and executing complex tendering strategies.
- Coordinating budget requests and implementation plans with government officials.
- Daily problem-solving of matters related to facility management, space utilization and campus operations.
- Overseeing the selection, and coordinating the activities of consultants, contractors, and vendors involved in building and operating the university.
- Preparing and overseeing implementation of the annual budget for facility development and operation, and ensuring that funding is utilized in a cost-effective, rational and accountable way.
- Managing the activities of the OIST Buildings & Facility Management team (currently 20+ staff).
- 10 years or more experience in the management of construction and facilities in Japan.
- Strong team management and coordination skills,
- Business level fluency in both English and Japanese.
- B.Arch., B.Eng., or higher.
Term & Working Hours
Full-time, fixed term appointment for 3 years. Contract initially with 3 month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be extended and has a potential for permanent employment.
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
*Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.