University Community Services Business Manager
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The campus is located on 85 hectares of protected land overlooking beautiful coastline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding. Multidisciplinary research is emphasized, and there are no departments. The research resources and equipment are managed to encourage easy access and collaborative research. The university research community is fully international in character with more than 40 countries represented, and English is used as the language of instruction. Research areas include Neuroscience, Molecular Sciences, Physical Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, and Marine and Ecological Sciences. OIST is rapidly becoming recognized as a crossroads for research conferences and as a model for change in education and research in the international community.
OIST now has almost a thousand people studying or working on campus, and their overall wellbeing is seen as a key to their success at OIST and the success of OIST as an institution as well. In this regard, the University Community Services Division provides campus-wide community services that enhance lives of students, staff and families at OIST. The Division is responsible for the management of existing welfare services including: the Child Development Center, the Ganjuu Wellbeing Service; the Resource Center; Recreation Services; and the Clinic. Some of these sections are financed through fees collected from the users of the services as well as the subsidies provided by the government subsidies. The University Community Services Business Manager is responsible for all budgetary and financial matters, typically annual budget cycle from planning and request to monitoring, revision and reporting, and long-range business planning for the whole Division as well as each section within the Division. The University Community Services Business Manager reports to Vice President for University Community Services.
- Create budget plans of University Community Services Division
- Coordinate budget execution reviews within a fiscal year
- Manage review of pre-assigned capital investment purchases and hiring requests
- Coordinate ad-hoc budget requests procedures
- Report budget execution status to the VP for University Community Services
- Identify, review and adopt international best practices of University Community Services into OIST’s operations
- Develop rules and workflows for new budgetary activities to be implemented
- Create long-range business plans for the University Community Services
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in budget planning for Organizations, including experience in financial management
- Deep knowledge single-year and multiple-year budgeting cycles
- Excellent communication skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships in an international environment
- Advanced business level English and Japanese
- Effective computer skills including experience with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to demonstrate a problem-solving approach
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Relevant Bachelors degree, Masters degree preferred
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 6.1 million yen ~ (Job class: Specialist II, A5)
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
- Names and contact information for at least two people from whom confidential references may be sought.
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.