Travel Expense Team Staff
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Financial Management Division oversees budget and accounting of the university and performs crucial functions indispensable for the university’s operation including budget securement and its appropriate execution. In the Financial Management Division, Travel Expense Team supports OIST’s world-class research and educational activities by overseeing travel, honorarium, and meeting expenses and ensuring their appropriate execution that complies with relevant regulations. We are seeking a staff member to join the Travel Expense Team. Since many executives including President, more than 60% of faculty, and more than 80% of students are non-Japanese, OIST has many non-Japanese travelers, and we handle a wide range of business travel destinations. The role of Travel Expense Team Staff is challenging yet exciting, as it requires not only expertise in general accounting but also extensive knowledge of practices related to business expenses at universities and research institutions in and outside Japan and travel related matters all over the world.
- Reviewing applications and reimbursement documents of Travel expenses, Honorarium, Meeting expense etc. Corresponding to the inquiries from the other divisions regarding the items above
- Corresponding to the inquiries from internal users about expense reimbursement system
- Contact point for the travel agencies and other vendors regarding the business trip
- Data analysis for and implementation of improvement of expense reimbursement tasks and cost reduction activities
- Development, revision and internal communication of regulations, manuals and workflows
- Corresponding to the Tax audit, Board of Audit and Internal Audit etc.
- Coordination with other divisions in OIST
- Experience in accounting and general affairs
- Business level language skills in English (TOEIC 700+) and native level in Japanese
- Advanced Excel skills to generate table statistics and various reports
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and a problem-solving approach
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Motivated to advance his/her own career in the field of Financial Management at OIST including Accounting and Procurement in a longer term
- 3 years of relevant experience in accounting and general affairs
- Experience in handling tax affairs
- Advanced business level language skills in English (TOEIC 900+)
- Working experience using ERP systems
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 2.4 million yen ~ (Job class: Administrative staff I-II, A1-2)
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.