Technology Licensing Specialist (Life Sciences)
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Technology Development and Innovation Center (TDIC) (https://groups.oist.jp/tdic) manages OIST's intellectual property and works to transfer technologies from OIST laboratories to the society.
OIST is seeking a Technology Licensing Specialist with expertise in Life Sciences to join the TDIC Technology Licensing Section. The Technology Licensing Specialist works with researchers, legal advisors and companies to protect, market and transfer OIST technologies.
- Identify and evaluate OIST intellectual property (mostly inventions) for protection and commercial potential.
- Promote OIST intellectual property to the industry for commercialization.
- Assist in preparation of agreements and negotiate with industry, including NDAs, MTAs and Licensing Agreements.
- Support other sections (industry collaboration / POC program) within TDIC on intellectual property and technical matters.
- Research or technology transfer experience in the Life Sciences area.
- High level English (written and spoken) for comprehension of academic publications and contracts.
- Excellent communication skills to develop effective relationships with researchers at OIST and industrial partners in Japan and abroad.
- Experience transferring academic intellectual property to industry or working with industry.
- Experience in patent application process.
- Familiarity with Japanese language and Japanese academic, IP, and/or industrial practices.
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Letter of intent in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.