Technology Licensing Specialist
Are you fascinated by how scientific advances are shaping our future? Would you like to be involved in applied cutting-edge science? Are you interested in contributing to the translation of exciting new discoveries into useful products?
Set in a tropical paradise and considered by many as a hidden gem, OIST is an ambitious academic experiment designed to foster open, interdisciplinary innovation. The breadth of scientific disciplines at OIST is wide, ranging from neuroscience to applied mathematics, from molecular biology to AI, from quantum computing to renewable energy. Founded only 11 years ago, OIST is a highly ranked graduate university and host to Adjunct Professor Svante Pääbo, the 2022 recipient of the Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine.
OIST Innovation is the technology commercialization hub at OIST. We promote the development of new technologies, embrace collaborations with industry, support innovators, and launch startups through a full-service suite of programs, networks, and resources. OIST Innovation is a key part of the University’s strategy to seed an innovation ecosystem in Okinawa that is linked to technology transfer, industry partnerships, and startup incubation. We identify opportunities by developing close relationships with our faculty and research community.
The Technology Licensing team at OIST Innovation is seeking a curious, forward-thinking, and motivated collaborator who strives for challenges and has an open, inquisitive mindset. You will be given the freedom to learn and grow in a complex job that spans demanding technical understanding, multiple-stakeholder communication skills, business acumen, and an understanding of patent and contract law.
Our futuristic campus, collaborative academic environment and strong focus on entrepreneurship and commercialization make OIST a highly rewarding place to develop your technology transfer career.
Join us in this adventure and contribute to making a positive impact on Okinawa, Japan, and the world.
• Assess the inventiveness and commercial potential of new technologies developed at OIST
• Conduct relevant market and prior art analysis
• Identify potential licensees, either in established or startup companies
• Market OIST technologies at industry events in Japan and internationally
• Support the patent docketing team in managing patent filings and prosecution
• Develop and maintain productive relationships with faculty, researchers and inventors
• Manage relationships with consultants, contractors and industry partners
• Promote OIST Innovation programs and services to the university community and the public through meetings, events and social media
• Edit and negotiate legal agreements including NDAs, MTAs, Joint Research Agreements and Licensing Agreements
• Work in coordination with other professionals in OIST Innovation, including technology and business development specialists, to identify and establish relationships with potential industry collaborators, licensees and investors
• Bachelor’s degree in science or engineering fields, or equivalent research experience in academia or industry
• Business-level proficiency in English, including high level of reading comprehension and writing skills in English for documentation and agreements
• Problem-solving skills and an inquisitive mindset
• Ability to extract key technical features and present complex science to a non-technical audience
• Excellent communication skills and experience collaborating with people from different cultures and with diverse job functions
• Experience managing complex projects involving multiple stakeholders
• Time management, teamwork and organizational skills
• An MSc or PhD in a scientific discipline
• Business-level Japanese
• Experience in technology transfer, business development or entrepreneurship
• Experience in patent filing and/or patent portfolio management as an inventor or administrator
• Familiarity with legal contract language
• 2+ years of experience in R&D or product development in a company/startup
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid)
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
- Access to Child Development Center
- Access to Schooling Options
- Language Education
- Resource Center (Daily Life Support in Okinawa)
- Cover letter in English required. Japanese version required only for Applicants whose native language is Japanese.
- Curriculum vitae in English required. Japanese version required only for Applicants whose native language is Japanese.
- Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer, will be required if the Applicant is selected for an interview.
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to OIST after a conditional offer of employment.
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5 hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
We thank all those who apply but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.