Technology Development Specialist
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST rapidly is gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
OIST supports technology development research through the Proof-of-Concept (POC) Program, an internal, competitive grant program that provides funding to OIST researchers to help bridge the gap between lab discoveries and commercial applications. The POC Program supports a range of research activities, from applied research to establishing feasibility, developing prototypes, and exploring scale up. The goal of the Program is to develop technologies towards licensing to industry or startup companies and is a key part of the broader strategy at OIST to seed an innovation ecosystem in Okinawa that is linked to technology transfer, industry partnerships, and startup incubation.
OIST is seeking a Technology Development Specialist with a strong scientific background and skills appropriate to manage technology development research and with interest and enthusiasm to foster the effective transfer of cutting edge OIST technologies to successful commercial development.
- Work directly with OIST faculty and researchers to encourage new and support existing research on innovative technologies with potential for commercial development
- Prepare and carry out the application, review, implementation, and evaluation of POC Program projects. Meet with and advise OIST applicants; identify, contact, and schedule external reviewers; work with OIST awardees and OIST finance, HR, and other administrative staff to implement funded projects; and identify and enroll mentors and reviewers to monitor and evaluate project performance
- Implement proper project budget execution with program awardees and OIST administrative sections
- As the project manager for OIST POC projects, assist in negotiation of agreements with industry, including NDAs, MTAs, Collaborative Research Agreements, and Licensing Agreements needed to support POC research
- Build network of relationships with researchers, consultants and contractors, vendors, and potential industrial partners
- Prepare materials and displays for and participate in technology show-cases and matching opportunities at industry conferences and exhibitions in Japan and abroad
- Work closely with staff in the Technology Licensing Section and the Business Development Section to develop technologies towards commercialization, including start-up incubation and accelerator programs and to identify and establish relationships with potential industry licensees or investors
- PhD or M.S. degree in science or engineering fields
- Business-level English, including high level of reading comprehension and writing skills in English for research documentation and research agreements
- Effective communication skills to develop relationships between researchers at the university and industrial partners in Japan and abroad
- Excellent time management, teamwork and organizational skills
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5hrs per day (multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations based on experiences and qualifications
Annual salary: 5.5 ~ 8.6 million yen (Job class: Specialist I, A4)
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp ), welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin), worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
Or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Cover letter in English
- Curriculum vitae in English
- Names and contact information of 3~5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities (https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).