Technician/Protein Engineering and Evolution Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The protein engineering and evolution unit is now seeking for a full-time lab technician. Our research is focused in bioengineering and bio-catalysis.
The protein engineering and evolution unit (Laurino Unit) https://groups.oist.jp/protein
- Instruments maintenance and instruction for the new user.
- Store and retrieve samples in a laboratory setting
- Routine lab work such as medium preparation, buffer preparation etc.
- Introduce the standard lab techniques to new students.
- Sometimes standardise conditions for experiments e.g. kinetics assay, protein purification.
- Master degree in biochemistry or molecular biology.
- Hands on in most of these techniques: PCR, RT-PCR, cloning, protein purifications, enzyme kinetics, ELISA assay, RNA extraction, electrophoresis, side-directed mutagenesis, SDS-PAGE, FPLC.
- Fluent in Japanese, good knowledge of English.
- Basic computer skills
- Good communication skills, precise and well-organized person.
- Experience with cell culture.
- Expertise in HPLC and LC MS.
- Experience with deep sequencing.
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 year. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
Protein Engineering and Evolution Unit
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Curriculum vita in English
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
- Names and contact information of 2 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).