Technician (programmer) for Integrated Open Systems Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) is a model for change in education and research with the best international graduate students, working side by side with world-class faculty in modern well-equipped laboratories. Beautifully situated on the island of Okinawa, OIST relies on a cross-disciplinary approach, with an emphasis on creativity and exchange, to offer unique, individualized graduate training. OIST is a university with no departments, eliminating artificial barriers between people working in different fields, but many nationalities, with students and faculty being attracted from all over the world. Concentrating initially on Neuroscience, Molecular Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Environmental and Ecological Sciences and Physical Sciences, OIST is bringing some of the best brains in the world to Okinawa to transform the way science and education is done in the global academic world.
Integrated Open Systems Unit aims to develop a new user-friendly program package and database system capable of predicting bioactivity of drug/drug candidates for the project funded by Okinawa prefecture office. We seek for a programmer who works on the software implementation.
Position: Technician (programmer)
Unit: Integrated Open Systems Unit (Kitano Unit)
- Create and modify computer programs according to project requirements.
- Conduct trial runs of programs and software applications producing the desired information with good accuracy.
- Write, update, and maintain computer/system to handle jobs assigned.
- Prepare reference/document for users by writing operating instructions.
- Effective time management, organization, and planning skills.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities, while working under short deadlines.
- Ability to collaborate across a multi-disciplinary team, and to work independently when necessary.
- Computing Skills:
- Ease with UNIX-like OS, especially Linux.
- Computer cluster operation.
- In preference order, programming skill in Java, perl, scripting (csh, bash).
- Web and GUI application and database design.
- Ability to install, configure and run software.
- Follow prescribed practices for software version control, testing, documentation, manual redaction, and maintenance.
- Ability to track down bugs/problems and make report.
- Degree: high school or above
- English proficiency: intermediate or above
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulation.
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ ), welfare
- pension insurance (kousei-nenkin), worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
- Cover letter in both English
*Please be sure to indicate where you found the job advertisement of this position.
- CV in English (and the one in Japanese if available)
Integrated Open Systems Unit (Kitano Unit)
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will
not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities at
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).