Technician positions available/Memory Research Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
OIST Memory Research Unit (PI: Kazumasa Z. Tanaka) actively seeks a couple of technical staffs. Using mice, our unit aims to understand neuronal/physiological mechanisms of memory. Currently, our approaches include tetrode recording/Ca2+ imaging in freely moving mice, combined with genetic interventions and behavior. Our specific questions are,
1. Why are the hippocampal representations not stable?
2. Why are the hippocampal representations not homogeneous?
3. What would be specific roles of the hippocampus and its surrounding areas for memory?
(ref. Tanaka et al., Neuron 2014; Tanaka* et al., Science 2018; Tanaka and McHugh., J Exp Neurosci 2018)
1. Technical supports to research activities in Memory Research Unit (e.g. management of research materials/mouse lines, preparation of samples, conducting behavioral experiments using mice, etc)
2. Help on supervising graduate students
1. Minimum requirements for this position is a Vocational College degee or equivalent research experience and knowledge in a related area (e.g. neuroscience, biology, physiology, etc)
2. Communication skills in English
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years (negotiable). Contract initially with a 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed upon mutual agreement.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary. It is not recommended to work long hours and on holidays. Our unit makes best efforts to maintain a work-life balance.)
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations.
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays, parental leave, family-care leave
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
OIST provides family-friendly environments including preschool/after school daycares on campus, full-time care during school holidays, and transportation for children:
How To Apply
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
Successful applicants will be selected after an initial screening based on the documents followed by a Skype interview.
- Curriculum vitae (English or Japanese), or a link to your updated researchgate, researchmap, google scholar, or ORCID
- A brief summary of your experimental skills and research experiences (English or Japanese, 1 page)
- Names and contact information of 2 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).