Technician Position in the Optical Neuroimaging Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The Optical Neuroimaging Unit is searching for a Technician. The successful candidate will support and train PhD students and postdocs. He/she will also undertake his/her own research projects guided by the PI. Lab maintenance will be part of the job.
- Training and supporting PhD students and postdocs
- Performing experiments
- Analyzing imaging data
- Writing papers
- Lab maintenance as required
- Experience with in vivo two-photon imaging
- Experience with chronic cranial window surgeries
- Experience with voltage imaging, preferentially two-photon voltage imaging
- Experience with electrophysiology
- Strong neuroscience background
- Experience with writing papers
- Excellent English language skills.
- Excellent MatLab programming skills
- Experience in animal handling and behavioral studies
- Physics or engineering background
- Work experience in an imaging lab
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 year. Contract will initially have a 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
-Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
-Annual paid leave and summer holidays
-Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
-Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
-Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
Optical Neuroimaging Unit
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Curriculum vitae in English including a list of publications
- Cover letter in English
- 3 publications (manuscripts under review can be included)
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.