Technician in Computational Fluid Dynamics (Ocean Modeling)/Marine Biophysics Unit
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) is a new graduate university in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. Located on 85 hectares of protected forest, it overlook a beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is architecturally striking, and its facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). To facilitate multidisciplinary research, there are no academic departments. Outstanding resources and equipment are managed so as to encourage collaboration. English is the official language at OIST, and its research community is highly international, with more than 50 countries represented.
Technician in Computational Fluid Dynamics (Ocean Modeling),
Marine Biophysics Unit
The successful candidate will contribute to development of regional ocean circulation models based upon past and predicted future climatic conditions, and will employ particle-tracking techniques across multiple computational domains.
Desired qualifications include an M.S. or Ph.D. in Fluid Mechanics, Oceanography, or a related field, programing skills in FORTRAN, and experience in parallel computing using MPI.
Higher priority will be given to applicants who can also communicate in English.
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 year Contract initially with 3-month probationary period. This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Please submit required application materials by Email to:
(Please replace # with @ before using this email address)
Or send documents via regular mail to:
Marine Biophysics Unit
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Curriculum vitae in English (and Japanese if available)
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
- Names and contact information for 3~5 referees, one of whom should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.