Technical Staff Positions Available/Cell Division Dynamics Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Unit and Position Summary:
The Cell Division Dynamics Unit (PI: Tomomi Kiyomitsu) is a new research unit which will launch in April 2020. Our unit aims to understand the basic mechanisms of cell division using cultured human cell lines, stem cells and early embryos of Medaka fish: https://groups.oist.jp/cddu.
We seek highly motivated technical staff members who will support the basis of our research and will work to advance this research as a long-term member of the unit team.
- Breeding and management of Medaka fish and technical support for the creation of transgenic Medaka.
- Technical support for experiments (e.g. making plasmids and common buffer, preparing samples for biochemical experiments, culturing cultured cells, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree, MS or equivalent in scientific courses
- Previous experience in working with animals.
- Fluency in Japanese and English
- An affection for Medaka and a sense of responsibility for one’s work
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract begins with a 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed upon mutual agreement.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (discretionary—it is not recommended to work on holidays.)
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/)
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by emailing your submission documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
Successful applicants will be selected after an initial screening process based on the submission documents followed by an in-person or web interview.
Curriculum vitae in English or Japanese (either language is equally accepted)
A brief summary of your previous research experience and/or skills in English or Japanese (either language is equally accepted).
Names and contact information of 2 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.