Staff Scientist /Topology and Geometry of Manifolds unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST) is a research institute and a PhD school, beautifully situated on the tropical island of Okinawa, Japan. Outstanding graduate students and faculty are being attracted internationally. OIST is an institution with no departments, aiming to eliminate barriers between people working in different fields. The concentrations include Physical and Mathematical Sciences, Neuroscience, Molecular Sciences, Environmental and Ecological Sciences. OIST provides a family-friendly working environment including the multilingual Child Development Center, and has proactive policies designed to promote a culture of diversity. OIST is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer. Further details can be found at www.oist.jp
Topology and Geometry of Manifolds unit
- The candidate must have a clear research plan, and be able to achieve research objectives.
- Must be willing to contribute to Topology and Geometry of Manifolds group meetings, and to mentoring student research. The students are either PhD students, or gifted undergraduate students interning at OIST.
- The candidate is expected to be in residence for the time of appointment. Conference travel is encouraged, and travel support is provided.
- We are seeking highly motivated researchers. The positions do not carry teaching duties.
- For Scientists, there is no limit for the number of years after PhD. If needed, a Scientist position can be taken while on an unpaid leave from a position at another institution.
- Excellent oral and written English. No Japanese is required, though Japanese language courses are offered to employees and their families. The Topology and Geometry of Manifolds unit is supported by a bi-lingual (English/Japanese) research unit administrator.
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulation.
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ ), welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin), worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
- Research Statement and Plan (one document)
Please apply by sending your application materials to oist.manifolds#gmail.com
Inquiries may be directed to Dr. Anastasiia Tsvietkova and/or to the same email address.
(Please replace # with @ before using this email address)
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).