Single Crystal XRD Research Support Specialist
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The Research Support Division (RSD) contributes to research and education by providing excellent common research facilities and research support services for the researchers and students at OIST. Technical sections of the RSD provide maintenance of common equipment/facilities, operation training, fair access, consultation on experimental design and choice of methods/instruments, and technical support on data acquisition and analysis. Administrative sections of the RSD provide support on grant applications, collaborations, health and safety and other support to research activities.
The Engineering Section is one of the technical support sections within the RSD. It provides support for mechanical engineering, electronics, nanofabrication, and characterization through three teams of technical staff.
The OIST Engineering Section is looking for a highly motivated and team-oriented technical specialist to support crystallography within the university. The candidates’ principle duties will be to maintain multiple state-the-art X-ray diffractometers, and to train and assist OIST researchers in their operation.
- Provide the following services related to X-ray diffractometry:
- Usage training on the X-ray diffractometers
- Consultations with researchers on sample preparation, measurement, and analysis of data
- Collaborate with researchers by carrying out:
- Data acquisition of samples
- Data analysis
- Refinement of structure
- Preparation of files for publication
- Creation of standard training programs, manuals and protocols for the efficient training and use of the instruments
- Maintenance of all relevant equipment and facilities
- Work with equipment vendors on maintenance, development, and trouble-shooting issues
- Maintenance of stocks of consumables
- Supports the purchase and procurement of equipment based on the needs of researchers, by documenting the specifications of the equipment and by communicating with the manufacturers and vendors, etc.
- Maintenance of excellent records regarding research support, equipment maintenance and safety
- Other duties as assigned by the Engineering Support Section Leader
- PhD in organic chemistry, organo-metallic chemistry, or a closely related field
- Experience in operating and maintaining single crystal XRD instruments
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in crystal structure refinement
- Experience in training or mentoring
- Ability to learn new skills, to stay at the cutting edge of technology
- Excellent communication skills in English. Ability to communicate in Japanese is desirable.
- Strong problem-solving skill
- Ability to adapt to local culture and rapidly changing work environment.
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
or apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
Curriculum vitae in English (and Japanese if available)
Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity educator and employer, and is working actively toward increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities(https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
- Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).