Administrative Staff for PCR Testing
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The Research Support Division (RSD) contributes to research and education by providing excellent common research facilities and research support services for the researchers and students at OIST. Technical sections of RSD shall provide maintenance of common equipment/facilities, operation training, fair access, consultation on experimental design and choice of methods/instruments, and technical support on data acquisition and analysis. Administrative sections of RSD shall provide support on grant applications, collaborations, health and safety, and other support to research activities.
As one of the technical sections of RSD, Sequencing Section (SQC) provides support to researchers in promoting advances in biological science by providing various technologies. Services offered include high-throughput sequencing, also known as next-generation sequencing (NGS) support in a wide range of applications. Currently, the section has the following high-throughput sequencers: Illumina NovaSeq6000, Illumina MiSeq, Illumina iSeq, PacBio Sequel II, Oxford Nanopore MinION, and Oxford Nanopore PromethION. In addition, the section owns capillary sequencers, real-time PCR, pulsed-field gel electrophoresis system, automatic DNA/RNA extraction system, automated electrophoresis system etc., for common use.
Aside from high-throughput sequencing services, the Section has started testing of COVID19 virus in cooperation with Okinawa Prefecture from May, 2020.
The OIST Sequencing Section seeks an administrative staff who is highly-motivated, team-oriented, and empathetic to the team goal, which is to expand sequencing and testing capabilities. The principle responsibility of the position will be to provide a variety of both complex and routine administrative operations in the Section and work together with Section leader and technical staff in the Section.
- Communication, coordination, and reporting with external organizations and relevant internal departments for contracted PCR testing and sequencing analyses.
- Preparation and implementation of contracts (PCR testing and genome sequencing for COVID19, external use of sequencing, etc.) between OIST and external organizations and approval process.
- Calculation and reporting of income and expenses for contracted testing and analysis
- Update and improve the usability of the section website
- Manage purchase orders of equipment, reagents, consumables and its reimbursement
- Inspection of deliverables
- Preparation and implementation of contracts for equipment inspection between OIST and vendors
- Travel arrangements and settlements
- Preparation and management of order-related documents in English and Japanese
- Fixed asset management
- Other ad hoc duties as assigned by the Sequencing Section Leader
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum three years clerical and administrative experience
- Native level in Japanese (JLPT N1 or above) and business level in English (TOEIC 880 or above)
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and time management skills.
- Ability to think logically and work systematically and accurately. Be fairness, sincerity, and honesty.
- Good team player
- Ability to judge priorities and run multiple tasks and projects in parallel under minimum supervision by the section leader.
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5 hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
or apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.