Senior/Junior Bioinformatics Researcher, Biological Systems Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
We seek a Senior/Junior Bioinformatics Researcher to work on metagenome data
Position: Senior / Junior Bioinformatics Researcher
Bioinformatics Researcher is available in the Biological Systems Unit at the newly established Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST) to work on metagenomes data analysis for environmental and antimicrobial applications.
Microbial fuel cells (MFCs) are devices that can use bacterial metabolism to produce electrical current from a wide range of organic substrates. Research and development has increased in the last few years all over the world. MFCs have started to be used in practice, but for large-scale applications cost reductions and higher power output are required. To further enhance the technology a better understanding of the environmentally-derived microbiological communities as a system is necessary. We also wish to enhance the ability of electrogenic microbial communities to utilise and degrade wastes and toxic chemicals. Our primary R&D focus is on a better understanding of microbial communities in MFCs as a system, together with further optimisation of the MFC technology for different applications
The position holder will be responsible for the development and support of bioinformatics pipeline(s), development and implementation of methods and tools for meta-genomic and other omics data analysis.
Collect, process, document and analyze high throughout experimental data. Document experimental and computational procedures and results.
Preparation of research publications.
Primary R&D focus for the position will be computational methods for a better understanding of metagenomes.
For informal enquiries please contact Professor Igor Goryanin
at goryanin(at)oist.jp (Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Strong programming skills (R, Unix)
- MsC in a relevant domain.
- Fluent in English.
- Good writing skills. Publications track record in international journals for Sr. Researcher
- 1. Working knowledge of other programming languages (Java, C++, Python, Perl)
- Practical experience working with metagenomes and human genomes.
- Working knowledge of bioinformatics databases, pipelines and tools.
Term & Working Hours
Full-time, Fixed term appointment for 20 months. This contract may be renewed up to 3 years.
Working hours: 9:00-17:00 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Please submit all required application materials by email to goryanin(at)oist.jp (Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
1. Curriculum vitae in English, including response to requirements for Responsibilities and Qualifications.
2. Cover letter in English
3. Names and contact information for 3 references
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.