Senior Manager for Academic Development
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The Office of the Dean for Faculty Affairs supports the expansion and development of Faculty at OIST. As part of its aim to recruit and maintain an internationally renowned research and educational staff profile, we are recruiting a senior manager in academic development whose role will be to develop the tools to advance the Faculty members in their roles as researchers, teachers, and managers in the University. Such a role will involve integration with the Office of the Dean of Research, the Gender Equality and Human Resources Division, the Office of the Dean of Graduate School, and the Technology Development and Innovation Center, all of whom have an interest in the development of the research and academic staff at OIST.
Senior Manager for Academic Development will serve as Deputy to the Dean of Faculty Affairs and play the role of chief administrator for the Office of DFA.
- Develop and implement research and education related human resources management strategies in collaboration with the relevant Divisions across campus.
- Develop and/or update and implement a transparent system for academic assessment and performance management, including rewards for academic achievement, and resolution of disputes.
- Ensure that the necessary training and learning opportunities are provided for professional development of the employees engaged in education and research.
- Plan, develop and/or update the rules of employment for faculty and researchers that reflect their unique needs while making sure that the rules are in accordance with the Japanese laws in close consultation with the GEHR and AC Divisions.
- Develop and/or implement a research misconduct policy and appropriate procedures.
- Help develop a strategic staffing and personnel budget plan to meet the future needs of OIST Graduate University.
- Coordinate research unit administrators (RUAs) activities and serve as the link between RUAs, Faculty and DFA.
- Serve as the liaison between the Offices of Dean of Faculty Affairs (DFA), Dean of Research (DOR), Dean of Graduate School (DGS), the GEHR Division, the Administrative Compliance Division, and other relevant divisions across campus.
- Experience of, and proven ability to operate in a world-class, research-intensive university
- A minimum of a Master’s degree or equivalent in Human Resources, Business, Law, Organization Development, or other fields relevant to academic human resources management
- At least ten years of experience in the administration of human resources management processes, four years of progressive leadership experience in human resources positions
- Experience working in an international organization that employs people from around the globe
- General knowledge of the principle of employment and labor laws in developed countries (Europe, USA, Japan), and how they are applied to the management of human resources
- Experience with academic tenure system that are commonly practiced at major research universities in Europe and the US.
- Demonstrated commitment to building a diverse and inclusive organization
- Outstanding interpersonal relationship building skills
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 9.7 million ~ 15.1 million yen (Job class: Senior Manager, A6)
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ ), welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin), worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
- Cover letter in English
- Curriculum vitae in English
- Names and contact information of 3~5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
* The OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity educator and employer committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff through proactive policies. We provide a family-friendly working environment, including a bilingual child development center on campus. Applications from women and other underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged. See the Gender Equality Division website (https://groups.oist.jp/ged).
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).