Science Communication Fellow
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Division Function/Position summary:
A science communication fellow will write press releases and news articles for the OIST website (http://www.oist.jp/), articles for our internal communication site TIDA, and content for the OIST social media. The science communications fellow will also help prepare written content for PR and event materials. Aside from science writing, a fellow with interest and experience in photography and/or video, animation, podcasts, infographics, social media, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, will also cover these media to produce content.
- To proactively dig for story ideas and conduct in-person interviews and to write, research and edit press releases, articles for web sites, social media, brochures and other OIST publications
- To coordinate story submission, editing, production and approvals while working with scientists, other writers and editors to meet deadlines and to ensure accuracy
- To assist with media events and general public relations activities as needed
- Degree and/or interest in science required; degree in journalism preferred
- Some hands-on science writing experience required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English necessary, proficiency in Japanese a plus
- Must know the components of a good story and be able to apply them to technical material
- The ability to coordinate activities, both within and outside of OIST, in order to carry out assignments
- Experience working with scientists and other technical people desired
- Proficiency in the use of computer, word-processing and related software a must
- Photography, videography, blogging and podcasting experience appreciated
Term & Working Hours
Term: Six-month contract
Working hours: Weekdays from 09:00 to 17:30
Compensation & Benefits
OIST Shuttle Bus
Round trip flight
Paid leave (5days)
National health insurance
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
- Resume in English (and Japanese if applicable)
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if applicable) addressed to Vice President for Communications & PR
- Two examples of work (articles, videos, etc), preferably published
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.