Science Communication Fellow
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Science communication fellow will write news and feature articles for the web (http://www.oist.jp/) and our internal communication site, as well as occasional press releases. The science communications fellow will also be responsible for updating OIST’s social media outlets and writing text for PR and event materials. If the fellow has experience in photography or videography, he/she will also be responsible for taking photos and/or creating videos to accompany written materials.
- To proactively dig for story ideas and conduct in-person interviews before writing, researching and editing press releases, articles for web sites, brochures and other OIST publications
- To coordinate story submission, editing, production and approvals while working with scientists, other writers and editors to meet deadlines and to ensure accuracy
- To assist with media events and general public relations activities as needed
- Degree and/or interest in science required; degree in journalism preferred
- Some hands-on science writing experience required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English necessary, proficiency in Japanese an advantage
- Must know the components of a good story and be able to apply them to technical material
- The ability to coordinate activities, both within and outside of OIST, in order to carry out assignments
- Experience working with scientists and other technical people desired
- Proficiency in the use of computer, word-processing and desktop publishing techniques and software a must
- Photography, videography, blogging and podcasting experience appreciated
Monthly salary; commuting allowance; paid transport to and from home station to OIST.
Annual paid leave and health insurance.
(Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ ).
- Resume in English (and Japanese if applicable)
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if applicable); Please address the cover letter to Neil Calder, Vice President for Communications & Public Relations.
- Two examples of work (articles, videos, etc), preferably published
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities (https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).