The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) is a model for change in education and research with the best international graduate students, working side by side with world-class faculty in modern well-equipped laboratories. Beautifully situated on the island of Okinawa, OIST relies on a cross-disciplinary approach, with an emphasis on creativity and exchange, to offer unique, individualized graduate training. OIST is a university with no departments, eliminating artificial barriers between people working in different fields, but many nationalities, with students and faculty being attracted from all over the world. Concentrating initially on Neuroscience, Molecular Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Environmental and Ecological Sciences and Physical Sciences, OIST is bringing some of the best research in the world to Okinawa to transform the way science and education is done in the global academic world.
The Science Administrator works closely with the Senior Analyst for Institutional Research and Planning in coordination with the Office Manager to assist on a wide variety of administrative and executive duties in the area of science and technology, special projects, and initiatives involving the President and his/her priorities. He/she reports directly to the President for special correspondence and presentation assignments.
- Assists research for the President’s speeches, presentations and statements.
- Prepares or proofreads special correspondence including but not limited to that of scientific and technical nature.
- Prepares meeting notes as assigned.
- Accompanies the President to high-level meetings of scientific nature, and coordinates follow-on activities as needed.
- Handles questions, concerns, and requests related to scientific and impact reporting on behalf of the Senior Analyst for Institutional Research and Planning.
- Assists the Senior Analyst for Institutional Research and Planning in maintaining databases for special projects.
- Prepares communications materials in coordination with Communication & Public Relations Division, such as content for university websites and publications.
- Communicates with external stakeholders (e.g. BRIDGE network) and Presidential Lecturers to coordinate activities as needed and appropriate.
- Master’s Degree, preferably in a field of STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) or communications.
- Demonstrated expertise in scientific or industry research, science communication for marketing or comparable experience.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills (native-level English language)
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with a diverse group of people.
- Experience working in an international setting.
- Proactive approach with ability to work independently and flexibly, but also as part of a team.
- Demonstrated professional attitude, attention to detail, and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Proficiency in Microsoft365 applications (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams) and presentation software.
- Knowledge about Japanese culture and Japanese language skills
- Work experience in higher education institutions and research organizations
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5 hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Curriculum vita in English (and Japanese if available)
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.